40 | gold thread

SUMMER

"Sure this isn't too fast for you? Wouldn't wanna leave you in the dust!" I call back to Ashton jogging behind me.

He ups his pace, moving next to me. "Please. This is a cakewalk."

"You mean... a cake-run?"

I expect him to take on a joke that stupid with a quick comeback, but he just laughs and shakes his head. Maybe releasing exercise endorphins is one of the few things that overrides his snarky tendencies.

I thought Ashton was messing with me when he told me his dad had skipped town. I suppose it suits his dad's MO to just up and leave his son without a moment's notice. And as luck would have it, the Villas' have flitted off for their weekend getaway that was promised after the whole portrait debacle, which means I'm staying with Lola. It took a lot of convincing for Mrs. Villa to let me out of her sight, but what was the alternative, me being a third wheel on their romantic trip? She didn't have much of an option.

And now with Ashton deciding to tag along for my afternoon run, both of us breathing in a fresh dose of liberty, it might be the most exhilarating run I've ever been on.

We're far out of Lola's suburb now, past the main street and veering more to the wooded side of town. Actually, close to the bridge I dropped Ashton off at the night we... became friends. I come to a stop when a rusted aqua blue water tower in the distance catches my eye. It's high up on a mountain, situated in a grassy clearing.

"Taking a break, Cupcake? And what were you saying about leaving me in the dust?" Ashton jibes. That cocky grin of his rouses an idea.

"Care for a little friendly competition?"

His eyes flash with excitement at that word. Competition.

"What do you have in mind?" he asks, hands splayed low on his hips.

"Racing to the water tower. Whoever gets there first wins."

"Wins what?"

"Satisfaction, what else?"

He raises his arms, indulging in a leisurely stretch as he measures up the tower. "Fine. You're on."

We set off after a countdown, racing up the mountain with seconds between our paces. I didn't anticipate the changing terrain, having to scramble over a bed of rocks and weave through a cluster of thorny bushes, but I push myself and my burning thighs as hard as I can. Hearing Ashton's thumping steps fading, I close the last stretch and reach the tower first. Victorious.

Ashton hunches in defeat, resting his hands on his knees while he catches his breath.

I prance circles around him, fist pumping the air as I chant, "Champ-ion! Champ-ion!"

The light of the setting sun gleams over his sweaty skin as he stands straight, a damp patch trailing along his chest through his tank top. "Like I didn't let you win," he huffs.

"Bite me, Banks."

I turn to the tower, getting a closer look. It doesn't seem to be functional anymore. A large portion of the ladder has snapped off from the bottom, rusted away, but other than that it appears to be in one piece. Worn down, but climbable. And the view from the top is piquing my curiosity. I stretch to try and reach the remaining part of the ladder, but even jumping isn't getting me close enough.

I motion Ashton over. "Give me a boost."

I'm staring up at the ladder when I suddenly feel him move behind me, his fingers hooking under the bottom of my shorts. I twist around and shoot him a questioning look, but he keeps his grip.