005: UP COME MY FISTS

CHAPTER FIVE: UP COME MY FISTS
song of the chapter: finally // beautiful stranger, halsey

Indiana already knows how this is going to end.

She's not a prophet, or a fortune teller, or the Oracle from the Percy Jackson books that her students adore. She isn't someone who can see through the lining of our days and predict everything that is going to happen.

This, however- she can see this crystal clear.

Here's how the story goes; Indiana and Buck separate from their kiss, Hugo stalks off because he can't stand the sheer awkwardness of the situation, and Buck leaves after he realises how bad of a kisser Indiana is so he leaves too. Then Indiana is alone, just as she is meant to be.

She can see the scene playing out in real time, as Buck lowers his hands from where they were cradling her jaw, pulling back with a dazed look in his eyes. He's staring at Indiana like she put a spell on him- Indiana would probably refer to it as a curse.

And Hugo, he's walking away-

Actually, no he's not. Hugo stays exactly where he was, a few footsteps away, with his jaw practically kissing the parking lot cement. Buck's hands are hanging uselessly at his sides, moving back and forth with the breeze. She stares at Buck, who, with his kiss-bitten lips and rosy cheeks, might be the best piece of artwork Indiana has ever seen.

Hugo, on the other hand, is almost green with what Indiana can only assume is either envy, or the impending vomit about to spew from his mouth.

"Indiana," Hugo says, eventually, breaking the heavy silence that hangs between the three of them. "It's good to see you."

Indiana weighs out the options for her response for all of two seconds, before she breathes out a loaded sigh and looks at him with a disdain in her eyes that she couldn't mask if she tried, "Wish I could say the same to you, Hugo. Is there something I can help you with?"

Buck looks between the two of them, his eyebrows knitted together in confusion. He doesn't know who this man is, or why Indiana's hostility towards him ignites a flame in his chest. His chest feels tight as he watches the situation unfold.

Hugo's response comes with a bite, "Let's not-"

"Let's not what?" Indiana interrupts, venom on her tongue, "I don't have any interest in whatever you have to say to me, Hugo. Leave me alone."

"Indi," Hugo pleads, a slight whine to his voice. "Can we please just-"

Before Hugo can finish his sentence, Buck steps in. His hand is in the air in front of Hugo, stopping the other man from walking further towards Indiana. "She said leave it alone, man, so I suggest you leave it alone."

Indiana sees the difference between the two men, now, what with the four inches Buck has over him, and the extra fifty odd pounds of sheer muscle that he's packing. Really, Indiana thinks, Buck could give Hugo a single push and send him flying across the parking lot.

Indiana would just like to state that the butterflies in her stomach have absolutely nothing to do with the idea of that, thank you very much.

Hugo has to tip his head back so far Indiana worries he might snap his neck, but eventually he meets Buck's eye, a scowl on his face. "And who are you exactly? Her bodyguard?"