Ch. 12 - TB (Train, Bond)

Summary: Kokoro trains with her new team. Squabbles lead to a new mission.

Training was difficult. Surprisingly enough, Junichiro was the medic of the team. He knew a lot about medicine and bandaging wounds. He also knew about pressure points and ways to decapitate others. Kokoro learned that the hard way when she let him grapple her into a hold. She thought it was a good idea to let him do it and tire himself out before she broke from his hold. Unfortunately, he latched onto her neck immediately and began digging his finger into her skin. Her body grew limp and she could only watch as he laughed at her for the astonished look on her face. That had been embarrassing as she had to wait for the feeling to return to her body. Afterwards, Masumi had made her watch Junichiro and Enkai fight. It had been frustrating, but she knew why she had to watch. She had to get used to them, not the other way around.

While Junichiro was strong, Enkai was speed and agility. He easily dodged Junichiro's attacks and hit Junichiro with his own attacks. Enkai's hits didn't pack a punch, but he could get in three hits before backing away, making them as impactful as one. When Junichiro grappled him, Enkai was quick to break out of the hold and create distance between them. That wasn't the only difference. Enkai loved using weapons and utilized kunai, shuriken, and his sword. It was surprising, at first, to see a weapon appear out of mid-air in Enkai's hands, but now Kokoro looked forward to seeing them fly. He was strapped from head to toe! Junichiro preferred his hands. Grabbing, punching, pinching, jabbing, anything he could do with his hands and get leverage against his opponent. The only similarity the two had was they knew each other's moves.

"Did you enjoy watching, Hatake?" Enkai teased.

"Did you enjoy getting your ass beat?" Kokoro asked, gesturing towards a smiling Junichiro. He bounded up to the pair and wrapped his arms around their shoulders. Enkai scowled and ducked out of the hold while Kokoro shook her head fondly and rubbed her knuckles on Junichiro's head. He winced and whined. He grabbed her hands and shook her back and forth.

"Why are you such a traitor, Roke?" Junichiro cried. "I thought we were gonna gang up on Enkai?"

"I can't ignore an opportunity to mess with you, Juro," Kokoro said. "That was very impressive."

"Thanks," Junichiro said. "I've been trying to get better since I lost before the third round of the Chunin Exams. My goal is to make it to the third round."

"Your goal," Enkai butted in, "should be to win."

"Listen," Junichiro started, "I'm being realistic. One step at a time."

"One step at a time isn't going to get you anywhere," Enkai said. "My goal is to win it all."

"What's your goal, Roke?"

"My goal is to pass and become a chunin again," Kokoro answered quickly. "I want to make it to the third round and I want to beat my first opponent, but if I don't win it all, then I'll be okay."

"If you don't try to improve and make it farther, then you aren't worth it," Enkai commented.

"Why am I not surprised you stuck your foot in your mouth yet again," Kokoro said. "Not everyone is out to be the best."

"Well, I am," Enkai said. "If you're not aiming to be the best, then why are you trying to be a shinobi? It's worthless, if you ask me."

"No one asked you," Kokoro said.

"Don't start," Junichiro pleaded. "I can't go through any more of Masumi-sensei's co-op training sessions."

"It's not like they help anyway," Kokoro said. "What Enkai needs is a lesson on speaking."