CHAPTER ONE

"Oh but it can't be..."

"Dear goddess, what is happening?"

"Shhhh, lower your voices."

"He can't see?  Is the crown prince blind?"

Gasps were heard as the murmuring gets louder and bolder.  The guests in the throne room could not believe what was happening.

It was Prince Pietro's coronation day.  The alpha king and queen believed he is ready to assume the throne now that he is 25.  It would have been ideal if by now he has met his mate but for royals, it could take years and years to finally find your mate plus the fact that Pietro was never allowed to leave the palace grounds, ever.

For forty years, the luna queen could  not conceive an heir and the alpha king's position is often challenged by his impertinent cousins and relatives.  But the moon goddess heard their prayers.  The luna queen finally conceived and gave birth to a male heir; however, the baby was born blind.  The royals will not let the prince's disability become the stepping stone of treacherous wolves to the throne.  They made sure Prince Pietro will grow  into a powerful, confident, and decisive leader he is meant to be.  His secret must not be revealed yet.

For 25 years, the king, queen, and trusted people in the palace tried to hide Prince Pietro's most damning flaw, his blindness. They have rehearsed the coronation program for months so nothing goes awry.  The plan was to expose the prince to the public as little as necessary.  

Until disaster struck...

As the elderly head council was about to hand the scepter to the prince, he absentmindedly used his left hand instead of the right just as how they practiced.  The prince reached out his right hand and was surprised to feel nothing but air.  It got more obvious when he tried to move his hand to search for the scepter.  Prince Pietro growled in his frustration.  He stood up, fed up of the formalities, and now that the crown is on his head, he is convinced that he need not endure the shenanigans.  He rose from his seat to exit the throne room much to the surprise of everyone.  Everyone rose as a sign of respect to the now Alpha King Pietro and as he started to move, he bumped into his father.  The former king lost his balance and fell to the floor.  Pietro, shocked and worried, tried to help his father but the action made his disability undeniable.

"He is blind!  He is blind!  The king and queen lied to us!  Prince Pietro cannot be the alpha king, he is useless," Giovanni, first cousin to Pietro, exclaimed.

"I AM THE ALPHA KING!" Pietro's voice boomed in the entire throne room.  His subjects felt his kingly aura and commanding presence that they exposed their necks out of fear.  But his cousin would not let this go.  Not when he knows that with Pietro out of the picture, he is next in line.

"You?  A blind prince, dare to assume the highest and honored position in the werewolf kingdom!  It is just the blood running from your veins that made you eligible to the crown. But take that away, you are just as helpless as an omega in the worst pack out there!  The vampires and the witches will laugh at us!  I have that same blood, ergo,  I am more competent and a much better candidate to the throne!"  Giovanni dared cry.

"You will not disrespect your Alpha King, Giovanni.  I am warning you!"  The king father warned.

"See!  King Daddy needs to step up to defend poor blind Pietro!  People, is this the kind of king you wish to have?  This is an outrage!"  Giovanni continued to mock the royals.

Pietro let out a contemptuous laugh.  Giovanni felt the hair on his skin raise upon hearing his cousin.  Within seconds, Pietro transformed into his wolf.  The people were all shaken because for the first time they are seeing Pietro's wolf and what a wolf he is!  He is black, massive, well-built, proud, ferocious, intimidating, and most of all hungry for blood.

His wolf stride like a predator towards the guests.  He blows air off his nose when he is near a male wolf to daunt him.  He would walk pass the she wolves, continuing this until they get the message.

"His wolf can see.  Oh, my goddess," they whispered.

He then approached his now petrified and crawling cousin.  "Forgive me, my k-king, my dear cousin.  I d-didn't know.   I had too much wine that's why I said all those things...."  Giovanni pleaded.

But Pietro is unforgiving.  All his life, he has been forced to conceal himself, lose his freedom, because of people like Giovanni.  It all ends tonight.  He is determined to show them that he is king and they will fear him.  He will take back what was robbed of him just because he was born blind: his freedom, his destiny, his pride.

Pietro used his right paw to pounce on Giovanni's chest.  In an instant Giovanni died.  The king and queen and all who witnessed were speechless.  The queen mother worriedly glanced at the king father.  This is not the Pietro they know!  Where is this strength coming from?

How can a wolf kill with just one pounce?  What damage can he do once he used his claws or teeth?  Pietro, as if had read their minds, indulged them.  With one swing of his claws has decapitated Giovanni's leg.  With one bite, he detached Giovanni's neck from his body.  His bloodied wolf stood proud without remorse.  The scene was traumatizing to everyone.  The elderly head council wet his garment out of utter fear thinking he is next to die since he made a mistake with the handing of the scepter.

The coronation night will go down to history as the night the alpha king displayed his unquestionable might and that he will brutishly silence any detractors. 

The alpha king is blind but his wolf is not.  This is what people kept telling themselves and the younger generations to warn them that the king sheds no mercy to those who doubts him.

Alpha King Pietro's reign was shrouded with fear, brutality, and no room for errors.  He may be ruthless but the werewolf kingdom has never been more prosperous and orderly than ever.  

He has grown aloof towards his parents because he believed that they hid him because he was a disappointment to them more than being protective as they claimed.  His childhood was never a happy nor normal one since he was trained and educated most of it.  His resentment over his parents' lack of confidence in him just because he is blind grew more and more especially now that he has seen and experienced the outside world.  

He refuses to be a "weakness" for anyone again.  In fact he will not allow himself to ever have a weakness for as long as he can hold.

And if love is a weakness, then that too will not be allowed in his life...

The moon goddess concluded that Pietro is truly blind.