die merrily

The final conclave   

Hours earlier

Octavia

I stared at the crowd as Gaia announced the warriors for each clan, but her words were drowned out.

My mind and body were on fire, starving to kill.

Jaha's plan to hide the bunker from every clan except Skaikru was discovered: igniting a war inside these walls.

This was the final conclave. A battle to the death within the walls of Polis. We will fight until only one remains. When that warrior collects all the sigils from the fallen and delivers them to Gaia, they will be declared the victor and will decide which clans are meant to survive Praimfaya.

And without Analia, there was no stopping it. She was still absent, along with my brother. Something was wrong, and I knew it. But they had to be alive. I had to fight for Skaikru until they returned. Even if that meant I was going to die tonight.

"We honor those who fall by the sword but follow the One who wields it best!" Gaia said, her voice a projecting dominance that could silence a battlefield.

"That would be me!"

I knew who that voice belonged too. The crowd parted for the woman who held the aptness to save us all and didn't. The fight within me threatened to break through hell.

"I'm Luna kom Flokru and I'm the last of my clan." She broke through the crowd, eyes covered in black warpaint.

"We know who you are--the natblida who ran from her conclave," Gaia hissed, her voice unfaltering.

Luna climbed the staircase and stopped in front of Gaia. "I'm not running from this one."

"Accept this sigil, Luna kom Flokru," Gaia hissed. "But with your clan gone, who will you fight for?"

"I fight for no one. I fight for death. When I win, no one will be saved."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Present

Octavia

A scream burst from my lungs when I cut off the arm of my enemy and sliced through his heart. His eyes disappeared into an empty blackness, yet I felt nothing. I snatched off Yujleda's chain. Broadleaf Clan was no more.

"I said, stay away," I bit out, searching for another place to hide.

"You're welcome!" Illian shouted from behind me. He kept following me, and I swear I was seconds away from slicing his dick off.