Chapter 2

🫘

"Hey, Kitty."

After you returned home, you immediately laid your bags and goods onto the porch. Kitty was busy bathing herself in her makeshift bed you had prepared for her, enjoying the cool air as the wind softly blew.

You grabbed the can and opened it. It seemed to be fresh, so you went over to your garden and kneeled down, moving your hands over the vines of some of your crops.

This is what you loved to do. Everyday, every week, and every month. You enjoyed the calm scenery around you, as well as just keeping things to yourself.

You poured just a bit of the fertilizer onto the crops. It glistened under the sunlight as it seeped down into the soil. You scratched at your head, moving over to the next portion of crops to fertilize.

Your ear started to twitch for an unknown reason. Looking back at the porch, you noticed that Kitty had ran away.

"..." You thought that she maybe had better things to do than to lay down all day.

You reopened the can and started pouring some fertilizer down onto the soil.

Your ear twitched again. You furrowed your brows, trying to look up and see exactly what was taking your attention away from your garden.

"..." Slowly, you moved to the next section. You poured a bit too much, causing you to groan.

This time, both of your ears were twitching. You closed the can in frustration, placing it down in front of you to listen in on what your ears were picking up.

"...Stop...wasn't... me...!"

"?" Looking up, you noticed in the distance a group of people arguing with each other.

Your eyes could see a good distance away. It was part of being an Oni.

But now that you clearly had unwanted guests...

You walked inside and locked the door.

You pulled your hood back over your head and sat down in the corner of the living room. Your ears started twitching again as you could pick up a faint argument.

"Come on, guys... really, do you think I would do some— Hey, hey! There's no need to point that spear at me!"

You put a hand on your cheek and closed your eyes. Whoever or whatever was outside would just pass by. Your house wasn't much to pay attention to— if anything, when people normally passed through, they just assumed that it was some sort of warehouse for growing crops.

Well, that's kind of exactly what it was.

No one would ever guess that an Oni lived there.

You took a deep breath, feeling slightly drowsy. Leaning against the wall, you tried to think of more pleasant thoughts.

But then, a loud crash sounded outside.

You opened your eyes, your body flinching from the noise. You grew tense as more sounds happened, making you stand up and rush back to your room.

Three heavy knocks sounded at your door.

"Hey, hey! Is someone in there?!"

You felt your heart pound in your chest, thinking that someone, maybe a guard, was out to get you.

You heard the handle of the door jiggle violently.

The knocks sounded again.

"P-Please! If someone is in there, I need help!"