Chapter Twelve.

---------------------------------------

Key for telepathic speech.

(Name) Italics.

Jack Bold.

Toby Bold Italic.

Suggestive themes. Read at your own discretion.

----------------------------------------

"Out of every fucking person in this entire world, it had to be him,"

I glanced between Jack and Toby who were nearly chest to chest, faces scrunched and fists balled by their sides. I knew, if not for my presence, they would have already had each other on the ground, beaten and bloody.

"Every fucking person in the world isn't here right now. Your anger is misplaced; are you angry with me for being able to do it, or are you angry with yourself because you weren't?"

Toby clenched his jaw shut tightly, his arms nearly shaking from how hard he was trying to hold back.

You better get your boy, (Name).

Jack's voice rang out from the recesses of my mind, and I knew if I could hear it, so could Toby. I knew I was right when Toby's hardened gaze snapped to me, his eyes wide and pupils blown; this had to end, and quickly. They'd kill each other if they got into a fight, I knew that much.

"Toby, come on," I gestured for him to follow me, and as I did so, Jack dropped his fists to his side and exasperatedly ran a hand through his hair as he turned back toward where we had made a little camp the night before.

The night I slipped up. The night that caused this.

"I missed you..."

The trees around us heard it, the grass heard it, the dirt, the moon, the stars. And so did Jack, and so did Toby.

Reason flew out the window along with caution as the tornado approached us; flora ripped from their roots just collateral damage caught in the war path of Toby. If I hadn't been under Jack, his strong arm planted above my head as the bloodlust finally broke, I knew the forest would have been painted. Who would have been the canvas and who would have been the artist, I had no idea, and preferred to keep it that way if fate permitted.

"Jesus Christ, Toby, just come with me."

Please.

Toby's eyes never left me not even once. His turmoil was tangible; he could go with me and essentially walk away from confrontation, or he could turn around and grab Jack right by the throat.

I watched either scene play out in his mind. Jack on the ground, Toby on top of him pummeling the absolute shit out of him. On the other hand, there was Toby glaring at Jack one last time before following me into the woods to cool down.

I'm begging you. Let's go.

Inquisitive, softening eyes on me weighed their options before closing slowly, deliberately, letting go of their welled tension.

You've never had to beg me for anything, don't start now.

I let go of a breath I hadn't even realized I had been holding as he turned away; to my surprise, he didn't bother sparing a glance backward even in the slightest.

Leaves and twigs snapped under our feet as we walked to a destination unknown to either of us. Hopefully, we'd take a few wrong turns too many and end up on the other side of the world. Maybe even in a different universe. A universe where our problems didn't exist, a universe where complication, frustration, and implication didn't exist.