Part 17

It was a beautiful evening under the late afternoon sun. The leaves in the woods were a balanced harmony of gold and brown that brightened under the western sunlight. Rapidly the air started cooling off as the sun kissed the horizon. But, the tranquility of the forest was broken by a human's harsh yell.
"Fuck, Lexa!"
The commander danced around her student and swiftly brought the butt end of her quarter staff against her target.
Clarke was too slow and took the harsh blow to her stomach. She crumbled forward and nearly dropped her own staff. Before she could recover, Lexa's staff went behind her knees and took her legs out from under her. A yelp escaped from her lips as she crashed into the ground. Clarke groaned and released the staff.
Slowly, Clarke's reopened eyes focused on the commander towering over her. She discovered the staff's end pressed into her throat.
"I instructed you not to be on offense," Lexa sharply reminded her second.
Clarke slotted her eyes and shoved her warrior's staff away from her neck. She started sitting up.
Lexa spun the staff and shoved the opposite end into Clarke's chest. She stilled Clarke's movements. Her fiery eyes locked on her second.
Clarke remained motionless, her hands under her body.
"Again," Lexa ordered. "Defense only." She walked away and twirled the staff between her hands to keep her muscles warm.
Clarke rolled her eyes, picked up the staff, and readied herself. She adjusted her position to what Lexa had taught her earlier. She inhaled a deep breath and ignored the breeze across her damp skin. Ares's low whine made her look over at him by a tree.
Lexa saw the distraction and came at her second. She was pleased Clarke recovered fast enough. Her blow was parried.
Clarke stepped back once and kept her staff diagonal to her body.
Lexa continued spinning the staff and determined her next moves to test Clarke's defenses. She lunged forward with the staff's end coming at Clarke's face.
Clarke defended against the blow and tried for the next one. They were simple, repetitive attacks that were meant to wear her out and make her complacent. But, she kept her wits alive for when Lexa made a change that could cost her.
"You are weak right now," Lexa stated. She stepped back once and slid her hands down the staff, in one fluid motion. She arched the staff around, towards the side of Clarke's head. "Like a child." She slammed her staff down's end down, her hands up high, and she took two wide steps forward. "Stumbling, falling, and off balance."
Clarke went wide eye at Lexa's new move. "Fuck!" She scrambled to get away as the boot's heel came at her face. She dropped down in a slight mess, but Lexa missed her thankfully.
Lexa landed on her feet. She knelt down beside her fallen second. A slight glint was in her eyes. "But you will grow into a warrior."
"I'm not so sure," Clarke bitterly muttered. She put her hands under her body and started getting up until a strong grip had her from behind. She was lifted to her feet quickly then suddenly thrown backwards. Clarke stumbled several steps and barely recovered her balance. She looked wide eye at the commander, who was rather pissed at her.
Lexa snatched the forgotten staff off the ground and threw it at Clarke, who caught it in the air. She then suddenly rushed her second.
Clarke yelped when the staff came down hard at her. She lifted her own and blocked the attack. She stared in mild shock at the commander.
"You have chosen to be my second," Lexa growled. She slammed the staff down again.
Clarke stumbled back a step. Her ears rang from the loud boom when the two staffs connected above her head.
"You have chosen to become a Trikru warrior." Lexa slammed her staff harder and drove Clarke backwards another step. "You have chosen to become hedatu one day." She continued striking her staff against Clarke's own, driving in her words. "If you have already been dissuade then..." She struck with new force that took Clarke down onto her knees. "Then you are not fit to be beside me."
Clarke was panicked and nearly too weak to withstand Lexa's anger. She felt her knees dampen in the grass and the sweat roll down her chest and stomach. Her earlier words had greatly insulted Lexa, who was now her warrior and Heda.
Lexa lowered her head down, closer to Clarke's worried features. "You have questioned yourself for far too long. That time is over, Klark." She applied a touch more pressure and watched Clarke's weaker arms give into her greater strength. "This is your only chance to walk away from all of this... from the Trikru, your people... and me." She narrowed her eyes. "You can vanish and be forgotten, if you wish."
Clarke sensed her arms were about to give out under Lexa. She gritted her teeth. Her frustrations and anger with the past weeks exploded to the top. Clarke dug her boots into the soil, and she relied on her well toned legs to lift her body back up. She started to rise against Lexa before her arms went out on her.
Lexa's boots slid against the ground, and she smirked in satisfaction. She allowed it and was ready when Clarke threw her back. She back peddled a few steps after Clarke forced her away.
Clarke was gasping for air, but she glared at the commander. Her body trembled from weakness, but she had enough strength to be free. "I made the right decision... Heda."
"Leid." Lexa gave a firm nod. She glanced at the sun, which was gone. There was only a little daylight left, and she decided to use it.
Clarke grumbled when her warrior came at her for another bout. It was less about strength and more about speed and skill. She was able to keep pace and parried all of Lexa's attacks this time. She noticed they started going slower and even easier. It was a cool down that helped her unwind from the practice session.
Lexa pulled away, spun the quarter staff once, and tossed it to the center of the clearing that they were using this evening. "Walk around... stretch your arms."
Clarke was glad to do so. She tossed her staff, which clanked on top of Lexa's own. Like her warrior, she walked around the clearing and stretched her arm muscles. She briefly petted Ares's on the head and continued cooling off.
Lexa went to the tree that had a low hanging branch. On the branch, her long jacket and Clarke's leather one were on it. She collected them and started towards the staffs in the center. "Tomorrow at first light we will hunt."
Clarke held back her sigh. She knew sleeping in was out of the question for the rest of her life.
Lexa handed the leather jacket to Clarke. "I promised Indra you would return with a kill for everybody."
Clarke blinked and opened her mouth.
"You will keep your promise," Lexa cut off. "Do not dishonor me before Indra, Klark."
Clarke snapped her jaw shut and accepted her jacket. "Sha, Heda." She inwardly sighed and shrugged on her jacket. She realized the pressure to become a hunter, warrior, and leader would only climb higher as she days went by for her.
"Masta ai op," Lexa commanded her second. She indicated the staffs in silent order.
Clarke picked up the staffs and realized in that moment that her palms were damp. She looked at her right hand and flinched at the bloody skin. She had cracked open the new calluses in her hand. Now that she saw it, the sting and burn was noticeable from her hands. Clarke softly groaned but tried ignoring the additional pain to her already growing inventory of body aches, strains, and hurt.
Ares popped up onto all fours when Clarke and Lexa came to him. He took Clarke's side.
"At least you didn't promise her dinner too," Clarke joked.
Lexa peered over her shoulder at her second. She smirked and replied, "I did offer, but she refused."
Clarke groaned.
"Indra was concerned that we would starve if she left both meals in your hands," Lexa explained.
Clarke sharply glared now and snapped, "That woman hates me."
"If she hated you then she would ask of you what you could not produce," Lexa argued. She slowed until her second was beside her. "You are not a capable hunter."
"If that's the case then how am I suppose to bring back food tomorrow?" Clarke tempted. She knew she had stepped onto risky territory, but she hoped her question was a better tactic rather than flat out denying her abilities to hunt.
Lexa had a dark smile. "If you can track it, I can shoot it."
"Oh I can shoot it," Clarke argued. Her blue eyes danced wildly.
Lexa slotted her eyes in silent warning that guns were not allowed during the hunt.
Clarke sighed and muttered, "No fun."
Lexa pulled her gaze off Clarke when they entered the busy camp. She noted her warriors were all about the campfires and almost done setting up camp. She had smelled dinner earlier and was sure Clarke was just as hungry. She paused on the camp's edge and held out her hand in silent order.
Clarke handed the commander the staffs.
"Go clean up and eat," Lexa instructed her.
Clarke nodded and broke away from her warrior.
Lexa had taken the staves. As she adjusted them in her hands, she felt something moist coat part of her right hand. She held the staves in her other hand and looked at the blood on her palm. She looked over at Clarke's receding figure among the warriors. She frowned and made a mental note for later.
As the evening passed, Clarke found herself at a campfire with Octavia, Lincoln, and Ryder. She had been pleased to find out that Ryder had joined the band of warriors from the Trikru territory. Even though Ryder had attempted to take Octavia's life, Clarke still held him with strong regard as a loyal warrior. He would follow their Heda without question.
"Oh come on, Clarke," Octavia prodded. "Are you scared to lose?"
Clarke dropped the wood spoon into the empty bowl. She shot a glare past Lincoln, who was seated beside her and landed it on Octavia. "No, I rather not see you naked."
Octavia laughed and slapped her own knee. She had hoped to goad Clarke into a game of strip poker. She was about to say more until she caught the commander forming out of the darkness.
Ryder tore his eyes off the Sky Princess and centered his attention on his commander. He watched the commander come around the campfire towards the Sky Princess.
"Klark," Lexa prompted, "Masta ai op." She stood patiently, hands behind her back.
"Sha, Heda." Clarke set the wood bowl aside and popped up. She saw Ares get up and followed them away from the campfire.
Lexa stole away from eyes and ears. In the partial moonlight among the trees, she turned to her second and brought her hands forward with a jar. She pointed at Clarke's hands and ordered, "Teik ai op."
Clarke was only briefly bewildered before she raised her hands. She had them curled closed, but she slowly opened her palms and revealed the nasty calluses that were red and bloody.
Lexa could even make it out in the darkness. She had a slight frown and held up the jar. "You will use this salve. It will keep your wounds clean and heal faster."
"Thank you," Clarke murmured. She gingerly took the clay jar. She wondered when Lexa had seen her hands, if at all. It warmed her to know that Lexa had noticed it and was taking measures to correct it. Clarke believed she had to handle it herself.
Lexa reached behind again and retrieved a small item that had been tucked in her jacket's belt. She presented it to her second.
Clarke had a slight furrow in her brow. She stared at the simple yet thick stick about two feet long that looked worn from use. She reached for it but paused and peered up at her warrior.
"It is a sis stick... a grab stick," Lexa explained. She wrapped her fingers around it and clutched it hard. She released it to her other hand and gripped it. "You repeatedly grab it with a firm hold... like a weapon."
Clarke bit her bottom lip and nodded. "To harden my hands."
Lexa held out the tool. "It served me well." She watched Clarke's hand clutch it from the top. "It served Anya well before me."
Clarke stilled once she realized Anya had once possessed it. She could hardly guess who originally designed the tool. The smooth grab stick was released into her care.
Lexa lifted her chin slightly. "Take better care of your hands. They are your only means to hold a weapon." She said nothing else because she knew her words would ring true with Clarke.
"Mochof."
Lexa turned on her boot heels and returned to camp with Clarke. "You will be staying in the cave with myself, Indra, and Ryder."
"Sha," Clarke softly agreed. Earlier she had assumed she would have her bedroll by one of the campfires. She was grateful to be in the cave that the camp surrounded. It was a safer and warmer spot. Fall would soon give way to winter. Already the nights were on the edge of freezing now that they were climbing in elevation towards the Trikru territory. Last night had been a little warmer since they were just west of the Dead Zone. However, tonight would be much colder.
Once on the edge of the camp, Lexa looked to her second. "Rest well, Klark."
Clarke felt Ares brush against her thigh, but she ignored him. She nodded at her warrior. "Goodnight, Lexa." She knew the commander had much to do with her warriors. She was grateful to have the rest of the evening to herself.
Lexa departed from her second and entered the camp.
Clarke returned to her friends at the campfire. She first tucked the grab stick into her jacket pocket and then picked up the empty bowl to return it. "I'm headed to bed," she announced to the group.
"Seriously?" Octavia complained.
"Sha," Clarke replied. "I'm exhausted."
Octavia was slightly bemused at Clarke's continued use with Trigedasleng. "We were going to play Bullshit."
"Tomorrow night," Clarke promised. She started away from the group. She wanted time alone.
"Tomorrow night, Sky Princess," Octavia called after her.
"Goodnight."
Octavia heard her friend's last farewell, and she sighed.
"She is most likely hurting from Heda's training," Lincoln reminded his partner.
Octavia sighed, but she understood Clarke's pain. She knew her own would be renewed once they returned to the Trikru territory. Indra would see to it. "She chose one Hell of a warrior."
"Heda chose her," Ryder flatly stated.
Lincoln faintly nodded at Ryder's assessment.
In the cave, Clarke unrolled her bed and fixed her fur over the roll. She sat on the bedroll and picked up the jar of salve from Lexa. She unscrewed the lid and revealed the creamy white ointment inside of it. She lifted it to her nose and picked up on a hint of familiar herb. She sadly smiled at Lexa's care and was grateful for it.
Clarke first took off the Commander's Ring and set it down, gingerly. She dipped her fingertips into the salve and coated them well enough. Slowly, she rubbed the ointment into her palms, but she clenched her teeth against the nasty hiss that pressed against her throat. Her hands stung and started throbbing after she finished with the salve. The task to screw the lid on was excruciating and slow. Next she slid on the ring again.
For a moment, Clarke placed her arms against her propped up knees. She dropped her head down until her forehead rested on her forearms. Her hands pulsed in anger from the ointment, and she tried waiting it out until it was manageable. During those few minutes, Clarke inventoried each ache, each throb, and every painful breath against her ribs. She was quickly learning to live with pain, and she suspected that was Lexa's point. Each day the pain went up another notch, and it would remold her. None of it though could compare to her father's death, never.
Clarke lifted her head and blinked away the glisten in her eyes. She put her father to rest again and instead pulled out her drawing journal. She studied her drawings that she had done since leaving Camp Jaha. For a moment, she stared hard at the drawing of the airport. Tomorrow, they would pass near it again. Clarke brushed her fingertips over the oil stain that she had duplicated to the real one. Her eyes focused on the dark windows of the terminal, and she remembered all the lock doors. Desire to know what, if anything, was inside the terminal burned in Clarke.
She set her thoughts aside and went to the last image, which was incomplete from days ago. Clarke sadly smiled at the magnolia tree. With the graphite pencil, Clarke attempted continuing the image, but she only frustrated herself. Her hands forbid her to draw any further. In anger, Clarke tossed the journal onto her rucksack.
Ares's head popped up after the growl from his human friend. He studied her and gave a low whine.
Clarke ignored the two-tailed wolf. She instead started shrugging off her jacket and threw it over the rucksack. She then removed the sheathed swords, boots, and handgun. She placed the handgun near where her head would rest.
Ares lowered his head to his paws after his friend went under the fur. He licked his chops once, still tasting the earlier dinner.
Clarke shrugged the fur over her shoulder and rolled onto her side, her back to Ares. Behind her, the small fire crackled and occasionally boots scraped over stones as Indra or Ryder moved around in the small cave. Clarke eventually succumbed to her body's extreme wear from the training.
Sleep was easier tonight. Exhaustion made Clarke's sleep nearly dreamless. However, her ears were on alert once she sensed a presence close to her bedroll. Clarke's fingertips inched closer to the handgun, and she willed her eyes open. She was on her back and stared at the firelight dancing on the cave's ceiling. Slowly, she turned her head to the right and looked over Ares's shoulders.
By the campfire, Indra and Lexa were discussing something in hushed voices. Lexa briefly touched Indra's forearm before she went around her and stepped past the fire. She headed directly towards her second. Once beside Ares and Clarke, she knelt down.
Clarke softly groaned at the fact it was probably time to rise and go hunting for breakfast. "At least one more hour?" she weakly requested.
Lexa placed her hand on her sword's hilt at her side. "Come with me," she ordered. Her voice held no room for argument.
Clarke clamped down on her protest, but it was clearly in her eyes.
"Hurry up," Lexa further commanded. She moved away and waited at the cave's mouth. She was pleased that Clarke hastened to her side in a minute.
Clarke had jerked on her boots, left her swords, and instead tucked her handgun into her waistband as she took her warrior's side. She had realized her warrior stirred her for something other than a hunt.
"Masta ai op," Lexa ordered. She stepped out of the cave.
Clarke followed with Ares at her side. Once beyond the cave's warmth, she inhaled the cold air and a chill chased down her spine. She hastily zipped up her jacket and jammed her hands into her pockets. "By the gods it's cold," she rasped.
Lexa curiously noted Clarke's use of gods rather than god. She weaved past a few campfires that had warriors sleeping around them. She and Clarke then entered into the woods.
"Lexa," Clarke warily prompted. She was still learning to see in the dark, but Lexa had told her to view the world from the corner of her eyes. She realized that more light gathered in the corner of her eyes rather than looking directly at her surroundings.
The commander lowered her hand down her sword's grip, and she used her thumb to dislodge her sword from the sheath slightly. She knew the cold air could make the blade stick to the sheath, especially after leaving the cave's warmth.
"This way." Lexa guided them through the woods.
Clarke wanted to know where they were headed and why on the Earth. She peered past her shoulder and could no longer make out the campfires. Subconsciously she moved closer to Lexa, in comfort and worry. But a soft glow ahead of them drew her attention back.
Deeper in the forest the hand of man had once marked the wildlife with radiation that left a brilliant glow among the plant life. The grasses' soft illumination invited Clarke and Lexa into the luminous clearing. Delicate blues, purples, and pinks welcomed the humans and wolf to a fairytale world.
Clarke was drawn back into her memories from the night she had first seen the luminance wildlife. She was still awed by its beauty, even if its origin were from nuclear war. "It's so beautiful." She stepped into the center of the clearing and turned in a full circle until she faced Lexa.
The commander approached her second and softly instructed, "Close your eyes."
Clarke curiously studied the commander, but she slid her eyelids down.
Lexa took a step closer. "Now listen for it."
Clarke strained to hear something. After a minute, she shook her head and quietly asked, "For what?"
Lexa had a slight grin. "Patience." She took a deep breath, and she suspected it would be any heartbeat. She could feel it on her skin and in her bones. She closed her eyes once she felt the first one touch her forehead. "Listen now."
Clarke no longer had to struggle as she heard the first, tender fall against the grasses and tree leaves. It started out as a few sounds until it was hundreds and nearly thousands, all around her. Her exposed skin felt the frozen softness that melt into her.
Lexa had opened her eyes and watched Clarke do the same.
Clarke grew wide eye from wonder and amazement after the snowflakes fell past her nose. She instantly dropped her head backwards and gazed upon the snow that shimmered in the trees' tranquil glow. Clarke laughed and raised her hands, in an attempt to catch the flakes. But every flake melted against her warmth and reflected the pinks and blues of the tree leaves.
"This is so beautiful," Clarke whispered. She parted her mouth after the moisture built up on her lips. She tasted the snowflakes and felt it renew her heart. She turned in a slow circle again, dazzled by nature's beauty. She laughed happily and filled with excitement but settled once she faced Lexa again.
Under the trees' glow, Lexa held a different command than that of a leader. She shined her true spirit that was often overshadowed by her commander's spirit. A thin layer of snow had coated and lightened her dark appearance and brought her emotions to the surface in her face. For the only the second time, her smile shined true to Clarke. Not only was mother nature so beautiful but so was Lexa.
Clarke's chest was hot despite the freezing air, a puff of air formed in the air from her next breath. Her cheeks flushed and burned the snowflakes against her cheeks. She allowed desire to move her into Lexa's space. She pressed her callused hand against the tenderness of Lexa's face. She swallowed down her frantic heartbeat's fear and quickly captured Lexa's cool lips.
Lexa was only startled for a beat before she seized Clarke's burning lips. She first tasted the frozen snow before she melted into the passionate kiss. All the emotions she hid from Clarke surged up and danced on her tongue. Her moans mixed with Clarke's own. She pressed Clarke closer to her with a hand against Clarke's back.
Clarke tangled her hand right hand into Lexa's braids, a familiar place now damp from the snow. She unknowingly hooked her other hand under Lexa's ass cheek. She drew out of the kiss, but her lips brushed against Lexa's own as she tenderly whispered, "You do romance." She felt Lexa's lips pull into a smile.
"Sha," Lexa agreed. With parted lips, she grazed her tongue over Clarke's bottom lip.
"It made me kiss you." Clarke moved her head back an inch. She continued holding Lexa and gazed into green eyes that mirrored the trees' radiance.
Lexa still had her earlier smile, and she brought up her freehand. She ran her thumb across Clarke's jaw line, lovingly slow. "An unexpected gift."
Clarke was good with words, but she was tongue tied now. She sensed a renewed burn in her cheeks. "Lexa..." A hint of panic touched her voice. She hoped the kiss was not an overstep.
"Breathe, Klark." Lexa hooked the back of Clarke's neck and silently ordered her head forward until their foreheads rested together.
Clarke shut her eyes and allowed her mind to sink into her body's enjoyment rather than the fears. As the heartbeats passed, she heard the snowflakes again and a calm wave settled over her mind. She released a shaky breath.
Lexa hummed low and whispered, "We should return."
"Sha." Clarke lifted her head. "Thank you for this."
Lexa was about to reply until Ares's loud yawn interrupted her.
Clarke looked over at the wolf and laughed at his bored features. "Seriously?" she complained to him.
Ares hung out his tongue, to catch the snow of course.
Lexa shook her head and grinned at the two-tailed wolf. "I have killed for less," she warned the wolf.
Ares stood from his seat and wagged his tails at Lexa.
Clarke chuckled and withdrew from Lexa. In that moment, she realized she had been gripping Lexa's ass. She instantly flushed and quickly stepped around the commander.
Lexa caught the odd motions, but she said nothing. She and Clarke returned to the camp, both in a comfortable silence. Close to the cave's mouth, Lexa paused and turned to her second.
Clarke shifted, nervously, on her feet. She tugged on one of Ares's ears when he sat next to her.
"Get some more rest," Lexa ordered. "I will wake you at dawn."
Clarke gave a slight nod and took a step but hesitated for a beat. "Mochof, Leksa."
Lexa briefly touched her second's forearm, with a slight squeeze. She then slipped away and went to check on the warriors before she lay down for the night.
Clarke entered the cave and noticed how the snow melted in her hair and on her jacket. She grinned at the droplets all over Ares's fur. She returned to her bedroll after a brief nod to Indra. Again, she readied for bed and settled under the cool furs. Ares snuggled against her back, his favorite spot.
Sleep was more difficult this time. Clarke replayed her kiss with Lexa. She still felt the burn against her lips. She wished Lexa would come to her bedroll tonight, but it was impossible thanks to all the Trikru warriors. Clarke was at least thankful for the exhaustion from the training. She drifted off into calmer dreams that were only broken by Lexa's return at first light.
Clarke dragged herself from the warm furs. She stretched as she pulled on her boots, jacket, and gathered her weapons. Once outside the cave, she took in the snow that softly blanketed the warriors, supplies, and horses. She was in wonder by the bright softness of the snow. As her eyes traveled over the quiet camp, she finally found her warrior.
Lexa patiently waited on the edge of the camp, to the north. She nodded at the white forest and hefted a filled quiver over her back.
Clarke and Ares weaved through the camp until they came to the commander. She nodded at the silent question in Lexa's eyes.
"Your command," Lexa ordered in Trigedasleng.
Clarke gathered her courage to track an animal. She entered the woods with Ares at her side. She wished to draw further away from the camp because she knew the activity, including patrols, would chase off larger game. Clarke had learned several techniques from her warrior, but the snow was a new dimension. She decided first to go to the nearby creek and followed it further north. Finally, she was in luck.
Lexa bent down beside her second.
Clarke studied the impressions in the snow. She examined it carefully and remembered that a clean, detailed print meant it was recent. From the print, she knew it came from a deer. Clarke looked around the surrounding area and carefully took in the prints.
"Fou," Clarke concluded.
Lexa had deduced the same, but she kept silent. She waited for Clarke's next move to track the deer.
Clarke silently went to the left and looked at a group of impressions. She removed her gloves on her right hand. She touched the tracks and felt the depth of the prints. It was obvious the deer had come from this way. She then followed the prints towards where the deer headed after forging the creek. Her glove slipped back over her hand.
Lexa stood up and checked her bow as Clarke continued tracking the small herd. She noticed Ares's keen interest in the smells.
Clarke went slowly as she checked the impressions until she nearly lost them. She almost cursed until she reminded herself that the deer would not have vanished. She knelt down and searched for indicators. She knew from her lessons that animals ate, drank, slept, and migrated on a very basic level. She had to be like them to understand their movements. Clarke drew her eyes further away and finally saw the next impressions, further than normal.
Lexa had a thin smile once her second figured out that the deer had been scared by something. The tracks were wider due to the deer running off in fear.
Clarke straightened up and glanced at her warrior, who was still following her. She grinned at Ares beside Lexa. She faced the tracks again and hastily followed them because they were so clear now in the snow. She hurried much like the deer had done.
Lexa increased her own pace and kept up behind her second. She came to a sudden halt when Clarke grabbed her.
Clarke pulled her warrior over to a tree and knelt down together. She gazed through the brush towards the small, open field and pointed for Lexa's sake.
Lexa smirked at the four deer in the field.
Clarke curiously watched the deer eating the tall grassed. She admired the deer's beauty, especially the antlers on them.
"We must get closer," Lexa advised.
Clarke blew out a low breath. She was still learning to be quiet. "This way." She stood up and carefully moved between the trees, closer to the deer but still in the foliage. She then came upon an animal trail, which gave her a slight advantage. The compacted earth made it easier for her to be quiet.
Lexa reached behind and drew out an arrow. She nocked it, but kept it pointed downward. She and Ares stayed behind Clarke. So far, it had gone better than expected, but the snow gave Clarke an edge.
Clarke paused and looked towards the field over her right. She moved off the animal trail and gingerly stepped towards the treeline. She went slowly, her heel pressing into the leaves rather than crunching them. She then hunkered down with Lexa at her side.
Lexa raised the bow and drew the arrow. She lined her sight on the closest deer.
Clarke admired the deer's antlers. They were handsome bucks that stood proudly in the snowy field. Clarke watched the closest deer move a couple of steps, and she went wide eye.
Lexa almost released the arrow until Clarke gripped her forearm. She curiously looked at her second.
Clarke said nothing and merely pointed at the closest deer then pointed at Ares in silent explanation.
Lexa looked from Ares to the deer, which had two tails like Ares. She bit the inside of her mouth to hold down a chuckle.
Clarke pointed at the next closest deer.
Lexa obliged and adjusted her sight onto the other deer. She drew the arrow back.
One of the deer suddenly popped his head up, and his ears twitched in concern. He remained very still and continued listening for trouble.
Lexa breathed in at a paced speed as she narrowed her sight onto her prey. She had a clear shot and released the arrow.
All the deer jumped from the strange whistle sound. They hesitated to run until an arrow plunged into one deer's lower, front chest. Three deer shot off while the fourth staggered several steps then finally collapsed into the white field.
Clarke lowered her head for a beat and inhaled deeply. She hated the idea of shooting the animals. After she released a shaky breath, she stood up and started into the field.
Ares hastened to his friend's side.
Lexa followed last and watched the other deer reentered the woods from the opposite side of the field. "Well done, Klark," she complimented.
Clarke stood beside the fallen deer. The snowy grass had droplets of blood from the kill.
Lexa sensed her second's apprehension about the fallen deer. "Its life is not a waste," she reminded.
Clarke nodded and looked at her warrior. "We should return with it." She fished out her knife from her side. "I'll find a carrying stick." She knew Lexa had twine to tie up the deer.
Lexa nodded and watched her second return to the forest. She knelt beside the deer, grabbed the arrow's shaft, and gently pulled it out. Shortly, she and Clarke had the deer strung to a thick, fallen tree branch. Together, they started back to camp with their prize.
Ares trotted alongside, proud of himself as if he hunted the deer. Perhaps he sensed Clarke's building skills as a hunter, like him.
The woods were growing brighter as the sun touched it with warmth. The thin blanket of snow melted away and revealed the autumn leaves. Pine trees glistened brightly from the moisture and sunlight. Clarke admired every detail, dazzled by it. She drew her eyes forward and studied her warrior's lithe yet strong body. Underneath all the commander's armor, a woman of passion carried thousands of lives upon her concrete shoulders. Clarke wondered what force could take Lexa to her knees? She prayed to never find out.
"Lexa?" Clarke softly called.
The commander turned her head sidelong, the only indication she was listening to her second.
Clarke bit her bottom lip then gathered herself. "We are going to go by that airport..."
Lexa turned her head forward and watched her footing. "Sha," she agreed.
"Can we stop there?"
"Haukom?"
Clarke composed her words carefully, mindful of her place as a second and future leader. She had a lot to learn about the dynamics. "I wish to show you that oil stain."
Lexa was silent for a long moment before she finally replied, "I did not need to see it to believe you, Klark."
Clarke grumbled at her tactic.
"Ron ai ridiyo op, Klark,"
Clarke tightened her grip on the branch that held the deer. She remembered those exact words when Lexa spoke them to Gustus. "I have a hunch there's something in that airport terminal."
Lexa tilted her head and echoed, "Hunch?"
Clarke's worried features softened at the fact her warrior was unfamiliar with the word. She clarified it. "I have a feeling there's something in there."
"A feeling?" Lexa checked.
Clarke tensed because she knew how the commander felt about feelings rather than facts. She flexed her hold on the branch again.
"To go to that airport will delay us at least three candlemarks," Lexa explained. "But you wish us to investigate it based on... a hunch?"
Clarke looked at her father's watch on her right wrist. It was 6:41 in the morning. Hastily her mind did the math, and she argued, "We can probably arrive there around noon'ish, have a midday meal, and check out the terminal. Then leave and still make it fairly close to Trikru territory." She held her tongue further and dealt with the long, tense silence. She started taking the silence as rejection.
Lexa ducked under a tree's low branches. When she straightened up, she asked, "What is it you hope to find there?"
Clarke frowned and honestly replied, "Hopefully nothing."
Lexa pursed her lips.
"But..." Clarke's features were darkening as she considered what may or may not be there. "I think we'll find something." She tilted her head and had a slight view of her warrior's tense profile. "Somebody was there, Lexa... somebody with technology because that oil stain came from a machine, like an automobile." She was hardly an engineer, but she knew the basics thanks to her father. "I want to know why they were there. We need to know why," she pressed further. This time, she sensed the commander processing the more logical reasons to going there.
After a heavy breath, Lexa gave a faint nod and stated, "I will consider it further."
Clarke briefly shut her eyes and swallowed her edgy words. She released a low breath and reminded herself that Lexa's lack of blatant refusal was a positive sign. She stood a chance at getting Lexa's agreement after more thought.
Clarke was hoping her hunch was wrong. At the very notion there were other people with technology out there, above ground, sent her mind going in many directions. She would have to deal with it if it came to light.
At camp, the Trikru warriors gave a cheer to the arrival of their fresh meat thanks to Clarke's hunt. It caused Clarke's cheeks to go rosy, and she busied with helping to get the deer ready for a meal. Lexa left her side and went in search of Indra. After the morning meal, the camp was broken down efficiently and the band of warriors mounted their horses.
Again, Clarke and Octavia rode in the back, together. It proved to rebuild their broken friendship since Tondc. It was hardly perfect, but Clarke was grateful to have Octavia beside her again. It made her think about those back in Camp Jaha. She missed her friends, especially her closest ones like Raven, Bellamy, Monty, and Jasper. Perhaps someday she and Jasper would reconnect again, but she hardly expected it. Just as she and her mother struggled to reconnect since the truth about her father's death. Maybe some actions were truly unforgivable.
Clarke refused to forgive herself.
"Klark," the commander called, "Ai glong op." She was half twisted in her saddle, eyes locked on her second behind all the warriors.
Octavia nodded at her friend to go.
Clarke clicked her tongue at the horse and tapped her horse's sides. Her horse trotted faster down the highway's ruins.
Ares picked up his own pace and hurried after his friend. He only slowed once Clarke came next to Lexa's horse.
"Heda," Clarke formerly greeted.
Lexa rode at the head of her warriors. She sat proud astride her horse. Before departing camp, she had applied her black war paint.
Clarke studied her warrior's hard features. She sensed that Lexa was composing her thoughts into words so Clarke did her best to wait for Lexa. She toyed with the horse's reins, especially when Lexa canted her head.
"I considered your request further," Lexa started. She shifted in the saddle then continued swaying with the horse's motions. "I will allows this because you are correct that somebody with technology has been there... for a purpose." She met Clarke's gaze. "But, you may find a truth you wished you had not found."
Clarke clenched the reins and swallowed hard. "I know," she murmured. "I might be opening a can of worms." She caught the hint of confusion in her warrior's eyes over the idiom. "Like you said... finding out about something I don't need to know."
"I will also allow this because..." Lexa paused and stared down the broken highway that stretched further west towards the mountains. "One day you will lead these people with me." She pursed her lips and looked at Clarke. "You must learn how your choices affect these people differently than the Skaikru."
Clarke had a slight frown and wondered more at Lexa's words. She wanted to ask things, many things. However, Lexa's choice to allow the visit to the ancient airport would become her answer. She started regretting her request, especially after she peered over her shoulder at all the Trikru warriors that faithfully followed their Heda.
Lexa freed her left hand and placed it on her thigh. She looked over at Clarke and asked, "Do you have your..." She was unsure of the right name. "Device," she attempted.
Clarke was confused until she realized what device Lexa meant. "Smart phone," she supplied.
Lexa nodded.
"I do." Clarke had charged it yesterday after its battery went dead in Polis. She had lashed it to her saddlebags yesterday when it was so sunny. She twisted in the saddle and struggled to reach for the saddlebags.
"Where is it?" Lexa slowed her horse slightly so that she came alongside her second's saddlebags.
"Open the small side flap... it's in that pocket."
Lexa did so and found the smart phone. She came back to Clarke's side and handed her the device.
Clarke put the reins into her right hand. With her left hand, she started using the phone's map, already knowing what Lexa needed from it. Once the GPS pinpointed their location, she nudged her horse closer to Lexa. "We are here." She tilted the screen closer to Lexa. "That blue dot is us on the map."
Lexa had a relatively good idea where the ancient airport was located, but she needed a better map than the one in her head. "Where is the airport?"
Clarke hastily zoomed out, using her fingers to pinch the screen. She moved the map slightly and zoomed back into the aerial view of the airport. "Here." She tapped the spot and placed a pin on it. She zoomed out again and explained, "We need to go south-west from here." She glanced at her watch and estimated, "We'll get there by sun high... maybe sooner."
"May I see it?" Lexa held out her hand. She received the device and curiously studied the map of the surrounding areas.
"The screen might turn off so just touch it to keep it from doing that," Clarke advised.
Lexa had noted it dimmed a notch so she touched it. "The road from Tondc towards Camp Jaha is here." She pointed at it. "We can pick it up from the airport if we cut north."
Clarke nodded and took back the phone. "I think if we take this access road," she explained, "It'll take us right into the airport."
Lexa conceded.
Clarke looked up from the smart phone and looked at the highway. "That next left will take us down there."
Lexa understood her second's plans so she twisted in the saddle and called, "Indra, we will be traveling south a ways then taking a break."
"Sha, Heda," Indra agreed. She had been several paces behind her leader. She wondered what was passed between the commander and Clarke, but she could barely make out their words. She knew the change of direction had something to do with Clarke.
Within an hour, the warriors approached the rusty, fallen gates to the Dulles Airport. Every warrior halted their horse on the access road to the forgotten airport. Several murmurs passed among the warriors as they wondered about the facility.
Lexa tore her eyes from the half broken, rusty sign for the Dulles Airport. She looked at Clarke and ordered, "Yur hedon."
Clarke was slightly startled by the order to take command. She was tense and was even more aware of the warriors behind them that waited for a command. She shifted in the saddle and tightly gripped the horn before she put the reins in both hands. She blew out a breath and softly ordered, "Masta ai op."
Lexa allowed Clarke to go first, past the dilapidated chain linked fence. She watched Ares stay at her second's side. She looked at Indra and gave a faint nod before she followed Clarke next.
Slowly, the warriors quieted and began channeling through the fallen gates. Eventually the warriors rode out onto a runway from a tarmac that went around the terminal.
Clarke halted her horse, which caused the warriors to do the same. She then dismounted from her horse and heard Lexa dismount behind her. Her signal caused all the Trikru warriors to do the same. Clarke gathered her horse's reins and guided the way down the runway, the dark terminal to her right.
Lexa followed behind Clarke and the warriors further behind on the runway. Her green eyes stood out in contrast to the coldness of the dark terminal. Like her warriors, she was curious about the forgotten terminal that once marked man's greatness.
Clarke ruffled Ares's fur once then focused on her exact surroundings. She was close to the spot where she had found the oil stain on the tarmac. She released her horse after she went into the grass strip between two paved, broken runways. She stepped away from her horse and waited for Lexa to join her.
Lexa gave Indra orders for their warriors to take a break. She then commanded six warriors to accompany; among them were Octavia and Lincoln. She rested her left hand on her sword hilt and went to Clarke's side.
Clarke was hastily searching the tarmac, several paces from the group. Her motions were frantic and full of frustration. She straightened up when her warrior came to her side.
Lexa had calm features and waited for Clarke.
"It was here," Clarke snapped. She looked over at the ancient airplane that sat slumped on the tarmac. She knew she was in the right location. "Right here," she insisted.
Lexa's jaw clenched, but she saw nothing on the tarmac. "Perhaps the weather has taken it away."
"No... no no no." Clarke shook her head and continued circling, eyes scanning the tarmac. "Oil doesn't wash away so easily." She turned to Lexa. "Somebody removed it."
Lexa approached her second and quietly stated, "I believe you."
Clarke frowned and looked at the terminal. She turned to it and started towards the dark building that had to hold secrets.
Ares trotted alongside his human friend. He smelled her heightened anxiety with a touch of fear.
Lexa signaled the six warriors, and she followed in Clarke's wake. As she passed the metal beast, she imagined what the machine may have once looked like, especially in the air. She could hardly understand how it could rise into the air as it seemed too big and too heavy.
Clarke passed the wing tip and came to the terminal. She went directly to the nearest door, which was still locked when her hand went around the knob. She gave a low growl and nearly went for her handgun yet hesitated thanks to the hand on her shoulder.
Lexa drew her second away from the door. She turned to her warriors and ordered, "Break it down."
Three warriors stepped out from the group. They were bulky men that well towered over their commander. One by one, they worked together to slam and beat against the metal door. Eventually the rusty door started to give way to their persistent strikes. Finally the door collapsed inward and fresh air rushed into the terminal.
Clarke shifted on her boots, antsy to go in it.
"We must be careful," Lexa instructed her second.
Clarke nodded and fished out her handgun. She released the safety and pointed the gun downward as she passed the Trikru warriors.
Lexa unsheathed her sword and entered the dark building after her second. She took Clarke's side and studied the dark interior. It took her eyes a beat to adjust to the darkness. She and Clarke pressed forward to give the others room.
"What are we exactly looking for?" Octavia prompted. She had her own sword at the ready.
"I don't know," Clarke admitted. "Just keep your eyes open."
"Keep close," Lexa further ordered.
Clarke reached behind and retrieved the smart phone. She flipped through the apps until she had the one to turn on the camera's flash. She raised the phone's bright light.
Lexa raised an eyebrow but took the device's help.
Clarke moved forward with Lexa and Ares on either side of her. She swept the smart phone's light back and forth as they entered deeper into the terminal's gigantic space.
A damp, moldy smell clenched in everybody's chest. The terminal's eerie silence kept everybody on edge as they sought for something. Nothing was familiar to anybody, not even the two former Skaikru. Ancient signs in broken or cracked English told the strangers where to transport luggage and cargo. It was a labyrinth of hallways, rooms, and large spaces with strange machines or hulking metal belts.
Clarke went around a belt and noticed Ares's peeked interests in something on the floor. With the phone's light, she saw nothing, but it was an invisible trail for Ares. She decided to follow his nose.
Ares turned right down a narrow hallway that forced two people to go shoulder to shoulder. He continued to the end of the hallway that was a dead end at a steel door. He whined low and scratched at the door.
Clarke stepped forward and pushed on it, but it was sealed by a heavy lock. She backed up a step to Lexa's side and shined the light on it.
"It's new construction," Octavia observed from her spot behind Lexa. "Look at the metal... none of is rusted from time."
"You're right," Clarke agreed. She pressed her hand against the cold door, as if she could see through it. "We need to get into it."
Octavia shook her head and looked at her friend. "I don't think there's any getting in there unless Raven was here."
Clarke glared at the sealed door. She then looked at her warrior, who seemed to be sizing up the door's strength. "Can you open it?" she murmured.
Lexa gave a faint nod and whispered, "Sha." She half turned to the group and ordered two warriors to leave the narrow hallway and keep guard.
"Back up," Clarke ordered the others. She pushed them back and brought Ares with her.
Lexa sheathed her sword and stepped backed a few times.
Octavia shook her head and looked at Clarke. "What is she..." She went wide eye when their commander kicked the door, right at the lock.
Clarke flinched after the loud boom. She tensed when Lexa battled against the steel door.
Again and again, the commander attacked the door's lock with fever. The Trikru warriors called for their commander's strength. Octavia grew wider eye and glanced up at Lincoln, who hollered for his commander like the others. She shook her head and looked back at the commander.
Lexa gave one last powerful kick that sent the steel door flying inwards, and it smashed against the inner wall. She inhaled sharply but withdrew her sword for safety.
Clarke smirked at her warrior and lifted the smart phone's light. "Chof," she offered.
Lexa nodded and decided to enter the black room first.
Octavia came to her friend's side. "How did she..." She stared in amazement at the dented, broken steel door.
"Leksa laik Heda," Clarke simply explained. She left it at that and entered the room behind her warrior.
Lexa's dark eyes darted back and forth. As Clarke's light revealed the room's contents, her skin crawled and bile entered her back of her throat. She sneered at all the guns, ammunition, and other advanced weapons neatly organized in the room.
Clarke stared in awe at all the weapons. She quickly realized it was a weapons cache for somebody. "By the gods," she breathed.
"Holy shit," Octavia snapped. She went to a wall and ran her hand down one of many rifles' barrels. She quickly looked to Clarke and Lexa, who stood on either side of a long table filled with ammunition rounds, clips, rocket launchers, and grenades.
Clarke looked at the group and ordered, "Do not touch anything." She shook her head.
"It's all been cared for," Octavia realized aloud. "Everything is oiled." She could smell it in the air mixed with the gunpowder.
Lexa clenched her teeth. Her ears pounded with anger, and she turned to her warriors. "Leave us," she hotly ordered.
Octavia opened her mouth, but Clarke's headshake made her snap her jaw shut. She filed out of the room with Lincoln and the others.
Lexa was breathing heavily and continued visually scanning all the weapons.
Clarke listened to the others' footfall until they were gone. She tucked her handgun into the front of her waistband. Her weapon protruded past her zipped up jacket, easy access to it. She placed her freehand on an ammunition round meant for a rifle. She blew out a low breath then looked across the table to her warrior.
"It must be destroyed," Lexa coldly stated. "All of it."
Clarke licked her dry, chapped lips and continued staring at the ammunition that divided her and Lexa. Like Octavia, she smelled the oil in the air that meant the guns were kept cleaned and maintained, by somebody. She considered who would be using the weapons cache and most likely had been here recently, if they cleaned the oil stain on the tarmac.
"Lexa..." Clarke felt green eyes bore into her, almost blaming her for the weapons cache. She knew it was only her self-guilt for coming here. She swallowed hard and looked at Ares, who sat next to her feet. She saw the certainty in Ares's green eyes so she lifted her head with renewed confidence. "I don't think that's the best choice."
Lexa slotted her eyes at her second. "You rather these weapons remain so that they can kill us?"
Clarke shook her head and argued, "They could protect us." She saw her warrior was about to chew into her so she hastily came around the table to Lexa's side. "Just hear me out," she tried.
Lexa took a deep breath and willed her commander mindset to mentally step back for a moment. "Go on," she encouraged her second.
Clarke set the smart phone on top of the ammunition, and the light streamed up to the ceiling. She struggled to keep her hands off the angry commander. At amazing speed, she thought of a good plan. "If we take the weapons back with us we can give them to the Skaikru."
Lexa opened her mouth, but Clarke beat her to it.
"Think about it," Clarke tried. "The alliance with the Skaikru is nearly broken. They've lost confidence in the Trikru... in you."
Lexa remained silent. The fog of anger started lifting from her.
Clarke held out a hand towards the weapons. "If we give these to them then we can earn their trust back." She lowered her hand to the table's edge. "And they can survive a little longer."
Lexa was displeased by the logic behind Clarke's idea. She darkly stared at the room's dangerous contents.
"I am still Skaikru too, Lexa."
A long silence passed before Lexa sighed and met her second's curious features. "You always will be," she softly agreed with Clarke. She finally sheathed her sword. "We cannot take all of it back."
Clarke nodded at the impending compromise. "Alright." She looked at the filled cache. "So we take some back and destroy the rest."
Lexa returned the nod and looked at her second. "You may choose what goes back."
Clarke silently agreed. She was satisfied with the arrangement and hoped it would help boost the alliance again. She knew it would be a major statement of trust for the Trikru and Lexa to bring weapons to the Skaikru.
"Thank you," Clarke sincerely offered. She brushed her fingertips over Lexa's knuckles.
"We will need more warriors to carry this out," Lexa decided. She started out of the weapons cache, relieved to get out of it. Shortly, she returned with the other warriors except for one, who went to get more help.
"So what's happening?" Octavia questioned Clarke.
"We're keeping some for the Skaikru and destroying the rest."
Octavia was impressed and muttered, "How did ya swing that one?"
Clarke smirked and teased, "Privileges of being Heda's second."
Octavia snorted and folded her arms. She looked over at their commander, who was walking through the cache. "Sooo... how exactly are we going to destroy this?" She looked at the Sky Princess.
Clarke nibbled on her bottom lip and watched her warrior picked up a grenade. "I think it's going to involve a big boom."
"A shame that Raven is going to miss it," Octavia joked. She shifted her weight to her right foot and canted her head so she could peer up at Clarke. "And who gets to make the boom?"
Clarke met Octavia's curious gaze. She realized it was one of them since the Trikru refused to touch such weapons.
Octavia wickedly smiled and leaned into Clarke now. "I'm Trikru now, princess."
Clarke slotted her eyes once all signs pointed to her. She inwardly groaned because Lexa would not be pleased by the situation, but they had few choices. "Fucking great," she muttered and pushed away from Octavia.
Lexa peered up from the grenade in her hand.
"Be extra careful with that," Clarke suggested. "That can blow us sky high."
Lexa held up the oval shaped weapon and looked past it at Clarke. "What is it called?"
"Grenade," Clarke supplied.
Lexa nodded after the name reminded her of the weapon's explosive nature. "I have read much about your old weapons."
Clarke folded her arms and stared at the wall of rifles in front of them. "They make it easy to kill."
"To not value life," Lexa agreed. She stared darkly at the rifles on the wall. "I remember every enemy's face when I put my blade through them." She curiously looked at Clarke. "Do you remember every face that you shot?"
Clarke swallowed hard and sadly nodded. "And those I didn't shoot," she murmured. Every person's face from the mountain raced through her mind. Her eyes glistened in the low light, and she moved away from her warrior.
Lexa released a low breath and struggled to let Clarke go. Suddenly the hall filled with footfall as new warriors appeared to help with emptying the weapons cache. Conversations about taking life had to wait until another time. They had much to do before sunset.
To be continued.