Chapter 24

I woke up in the middle of the night to an empty bed and an even emptier apartment. The place was dark and silent and I wondered if Death was serious right now. Was he so cocky that he thought no one would come into his apartment at night just because he was Death?

He didn't even have a lock on his door so Ira could just walk through the door and take me if he wanted. Granted, it would be in his best interest to not piss off Death anymore than he'd already done.

Suddenly, I didn't feel like sleeping anymore and I shoved the blankets off before walking to the living room. I flicked on the light and dropped down onto the sofa. The images of the accident returned to the forefront of my mind and I couldn't shake them for long.

I had to come to terms with it somehow. But I didn't know how to do that. In any case, when all of this was over I'd just forget it even happened.

A shiver ran down my spine and I remembered how cold it would get in here at night. I stood up to go back to bed again when in a flash Death appeared again and I let out an involuntary gasp.

He was covered in blood from head to toe to the point his hair was shining from the wetness. His previously clean and spotless white shirt looked like it had a tie-dye pattern in the darkness but I knew I wouldn't like what I saw if I were to turn on the lights.

"Are you alright?" I asked. Tears welled up from my eyes at the horrible sight in front of me. I started to physically hurt seeing him hurt. I stepped forward only to see that stupid smile of his while he looked down at me.

"It's not my blood, love," he said smugly. My racing heart calmed down somewhat but the sight of him had shaken me enough I still felt my hands tremble.

"Why are you covered in it?" I asked as calmly as I could.

He shrugged. "Comes with the job," he said while scanning my face. He looked as if he wanted to say something but thought better of it. "I'm going to take a shower," he said before walking away.

Why did it scare me so much to see him potentially hurt? I know I care about him but this was ridiculous even for me. I blamed it on not being fully awake. Besides, I wouldn't know who'd be able to fuck him up like that.

I heard him turn on the shower and sighed. I just wanted to go back to bed and get some sleep. But instead of walking towards the bed, I found myself entering the bathroom.

The shower cabin was already fogged up so I couldn't see him. I dropped the shirt I was wearing as well as my panties on the floor and made my way over to Death. Surprise swiftly crossed his face but soon turned into a lopsided smile.

He didn't say anything, just stepped aside to create more room for me in the cabin. I wasn't in the mood for wasting time so I wrapped my arms around him to pull him down and crashed my lips against his.

His response was immediate and he didn't allow me to take the lead in any way. His soft lips kneaded against mine while he pulled my body flush against his. My mind didn't even register the water that fell around us because all I could feel was him.

His rough hands roamed my body and one stopped briefly to squeeze my ass, causing me to press myself even further into him. Heat coursed through my body, intensified by the feeling of something hard pressing against my belly.

He stepped forward, forcing me to move backward until my back hit the glass. He broke our kiss to lick the space under my ear, earning him a deep moan from deep inside of me. He continued by sucking the hollow of my throat and kissing my collarbone.

One of his hands had come up to knead my breast as he ran his tongue around the other before ending at my nipple. I swear I could come just from doing this because the pressure between my legs had become nearly unbearable.