Chapter 5

Once they arrived at the only funeral home in town, the sheriff introduced the owner, Dante Wallace, who was immediately asked for the greatest possible discretion regarding the presence of a federal agent. The man was surprised at the request but assured them that secrecy and discretion prevailed in his business, therefore, no one would know about Agent Griffin's visit. In addition, at that time he was alone, since his assistant's mother had reported him ill that day.

After the sheriff and Clarke thanked him for his silence, the man showed them the room where the seven corpses were exposed, ready to be examined. It was a huge room, very similar to a morgue, properly, since it maintained a very low temperature and had the ideal equipment to perform an autopsy. Clarke thanked that at least they had that place to keep the bodies, otherwise, they would have had to be sent to the nearest city, which was the capital of the state, where they would remain in a judicial morgue until the case was closed.

On the other hand, Agent Griffin had a lot of knowledge in forensic medicine, and, after receiving from the sheriff the reports of the doctor who carried out the autopsies, Clarke asked to stay alone with the bodies for a while, to study them in detail and also take some photos. Raven was surprised by the request, but didn't ask any questions, nor did she have any objection, she just nodded her head and withdrew with the owner of the funeral home.

Clarke examined the body of the first victim, a thirty-five-year-old man, a fuel truck driver, named Paul Simpson, who used to pass through Polis once a week. When he delivered fuel in the village, he visited the Trikru club, and often got intimate with prostitutes. He observed the marks of the alleged bites on the neck, as well as some bruises on the arms and neck, evidencing the resistance he put on the aggressor, although without much success. She had to admit that the marks had been very well achieved, since they really seemed to have been produced by a pair of sharp fangs.

They were just like those seen in the victims, in the movies or TV series related to the legendary immortal beings who feed on human blood, the ones that are so popular today. This is because the image of vampires has changed a lot from what was shown in ancient times, with the demonic Count Dracula. Nowadays vampires have a sexier and more attractive image, and, in some way, they have ceased to be clearly horror stories. The plots have turned into romantic stories between a vampire and a human. Stories that have captivated both large audiences of young teenagers, as well as those of middle-aged ones, since they are also loaded with great eroticism.

Clarke smiled, shaking her head thinking about it. She also liked to watch that kind of fanciful movies. Without going any further, she had spent part of her adolescence and early twenties, fascinated watching the TV series True Blood. Just as she had been captivated by the Twilight saga, and, also, she had read the twenty books of the series, The Immortals After Dark, by the writer, Kresley Cole. But from there to believe that vampires had really existed and exist today, no, not even in the most remotely.

She had studied psychology about vampirism, and how much it had grown in recent times, driven a little by the movies and shows so popular. But she couldn't finish understanding why people were obsessed with the subject to the point of believing that they really exist in real life.

She shook the memories of her adolescence and of humans suffering from Renfield syndrome, and devoted herself to studying the bodies, for which she took her time. Raven even came in at a certain point worried about the time she was taking in the cold storage.

"Hey, Griffin, I'm sorry, but how much longer will the examinations take you?"
"I estimate that about an hour, or maybe, less, I'm not sure. But don't wait for me, as soon as I'm done, I'll go to the station, or I'll send you a text. I would also like to go to the cafeteria to get my car and take it to a mechanic to check it, if possible."
"Well, then I'll go do my patrol rounds in the area. When you're done with the cool ones, just call me and I'll pick you up, so we can get your vehicle and visit Sinclair, the town mechanic and my uncle."
"I'll do it then, have a good patrol."
"Thank you, and you keep having fun with the boys here, anything you need just talk to Wallace, he is a very kind person, even if it seems strange."