Chapter 2 || The Tribute Parade, The Party Planning and The Volunteer

"A dramatic turn of events here on District 12. Yes, well. District 12's very first volunteer! Bring her up!" Effie called out.

Katniss hesitantly walked closer to Effie.

"Come on dear. What's your name?" Effie asked.

"Katniss Everdeen..." Katniss answered.

Valerie looked at Katniss, her bottom lip trembled slightly. She looked away from the crowd.

"Well, I bet my hat. That was your sister, wasn't it?" Effie asked Katniss.

"Yes..." Katniss replied.

"Let's have a big hand for our very first volunteer, Katniss Everdeen!" Effie said excitedly.

Effie clapped enthusiastically, but the rest of the crowd did a three finger salute.

Valerie looked at the crowd and then looked at Katniss. She suddenly got a flash of Katniss Everdeen's future and stumbled a little. She gasped for air quietly, but Katniss looked at Valerie with worry in her eyes. She mouthed 'Are you okay?'

Valerie nodded and took deep breaths.

"And now, for the boys. Peeta Mellark. Here we are," Effie said as Peeta made his way on stage.

Valerie avoided eye contact with the two tributes.

"Our Tributes from District 12!" Effie said, "Well, come on you two. Shake hands!" she finished.

Peeta and Katniss shook hands reluctantly.

"Happy Hunger Games and let the odds be ever in your favor..." Effie said.

Katniss and Peeta were taken into the building. Valerie quickly followed after Katniss.

"Katniss!" Valerie called out as she caught up to Katniss. Peeta had already been taken into his room.

"Valerie...?" Katniss asked.

"I am going to do my best to stay by your side through all of this. I am originally from District 9, but I have traveled and been to all of the districts...even if it were just for a day.." Valerie admitted.

Valerie took Katniss into her waiting room.

"You have 3 minutes," a Peacemaker said coldly as Primrose, Theodore, Mrs. Everdeen and Jewels came into the room desperately.

"Prim, Prim, its okay. Shh. Prim, I don't have much time. Prim, listen. You're gonna be okay," Katniss said to her sister quickly.

Primrose was crying.

"Don't take any extra food from them. It isn't worth putting in your name more times, okay?" Katniss said. She glanced at the clock anxiously.

"I got you. Take your time. 10 minutes tops though, okay?" Valerie said as she left the room.

"Theodore, your sister is amazing," Katniss said.

"I know..." Theodore said sadly.

"Theodore, don't be ashamed of who you are. Don't be ashamed of your abilities. They will save you one day. They'll save us all one day," Katniss said.