Dreaming In Class

The sun shines on Luz, Delilah, Eda, the Bed and king standing on a beach.

Eda: "Well, Luz, Delilah!" She elbows them "Did you ever in your life think you'd see something as breathtaking as this?"

She gestures to the corpse of a giant slug, like its surroundings it is covered by trash. Luz shakes her head while Delilah starts turning green, the Bed covers her eyes.

Luz: "I don't like this."

Delilah: "I-I think this is worse than that 'Realistic Mermaid' you made."

Luz: "It wasn't that bad!"

Hearing this, Delilah moves away from the Bed's hands.

Delilah: "You filled the statue with dead fish you found near a sewage tunnel!"

Eda cuts into the conversation.

Eda: "Yes, it doesn't get much more inspiring than the trash slug. It makes a home, a life from what others have thrown by the wayside." She pulls a rubber chicken from the slug's mouth. "Until, blam, it gets blasted by a wave one day and croaks from all the salt. And then we get to sell the stuff it ate."

She pulls out a pickaxe, much to the horror of Luz and Delilah.

Luz: "Please don't make me."

Delilah backs away with the Bed following her.

Delilah: "I'm glad that I'm not learning magic."

King: "Aw, come on, Luz." He lays down a towel. "It's not every day you get to go to the dump and pick apart a garbage carcass."

Delilah: "I'm glad it's not every day."

Eda: "Ah, nuts to you all."

Eda starts swinging the pick at the slug.

Luz: "So, Eda..."

Glass shatters causing Delilah to flinch slightly.

Luz: "What if we tried some new lessons for my apprenticeship? Like..."

Something crashes.

Luz: "Read ancient scrolls or mix together potions, or—"

Eda answers while throwing things from the slug's mouth.

Eda: "Ugh. That sounds like a bunch of magic school stuff."

Luz: "Wait. Is there a magic school here? Like, winding towers, cute uniforms, dark plots that threaten your life kind of magic school?"

Delilah: "Why don't you enrol Luz into the school?"

Eda: "They force you to learn magic the 'proper' way. But magic isn't proper. It's wild and unpredictable. And that's why it's so beautiful. I didn't finish school, and look at me! Who wouldn't envy where I am right now?"

Flies are flying around the pile of trash Eda is currently standing on. Luz's expression falls, Delilah just gives her a dead stare.

Eda: "Uh... Hey, here's a lesson." She drops her pickaxe. "A great witch is resourceful," She sticks Luz's hand in a puddle of slug bile. "like this."

Eda drags Luz's hand back and forth before letting go. Luz continues digging until she pulls something out.

Luz: "Oh, hey. Greasy slime ball."

Delilah: "Don't you go anywhere near me with that."

Eda closes Luz's hands around the slime ball.

Eda: "Use your slime ball wisely, young witch." She walks back to the slug. "Back at it! We'll hit the stink nodes first."