chapter iv

Movie nights were the only time set aside where Noah and Alex were guaranteed to have to interact. Occurring once every two weeks, it was the time scheduled to talk about anything that needed to be discussed in the household, and if there was nothing to discuss - they could watch a movie. It was Alex's idea, a remnant of her poor experiences with a former roommate who seemingly never had the time to discuss any lingering grievances. Alex had mentioned off-handedly having bad experiences with roommates before and Noah never pressed the issue. Why would she? Who hadn't had a bad roommate experience at least once?

Noah was just excited to watch a movie.

"So," Alex threw a piece of popcorn into her mouth as she snuggled herself further into the far corner of the couch, "how's the city treating you so far? Do anything interesting?"

Alex didn't sound particularly interested, but Noah couldn't blame her. Med school was notoriously draining - just seeing Alex's homework was enough to drain Noah for the day. She couldn't imagine what it was like actually doing the homework. And the lectures -

Noah shuddered just thinking about it.

The least she could do was offer Alex a bit of respite by giving her a window into Noah's life as a bit of escapism. "Well, I've explored the area a bit. Most of the places have been pretty touristy, though. I'm hoping to meet some locals and get more of a local's look!"

"How do you plan on meeting locals if you only go to places that cater to non-locals?" Alex didn't even look up from the movie, just taking a handful of popcorn and shoving it into her mouth.

Of course, Alex was right. Noah's desire to meet locals was just going to be nothing more than wishful thinking if she kept hovering around tourist spots and the campus. Sure, there were locals who were students and professors - but she didn't have much time to socialize between classes and her TA work. "Do you have any suggestions for local spots?"

Alex paused and Noah could practically see the gears turning in her head. Alex wasn't a 'local,' by technicality. Like Noah, Alex came from the United States - it was one of the main things that made Noah an ideal roommate option for Alex - but Alex had been in the city for about six years, and was far more fluent in the language than Noah was. Noah practically sounded like a toddler, and the few locals she had met much preferred to speak to her in English than listen to her butcher their mother tongue trying to ask for a glass of water.

Plus, the few friends of Alex's that Noah had met were actual locals - so clearly, Alex was an expert on the subject.

After the moment passed, Alex shrugged. "I'll consult the group chat," she said. "Maybe they'll have some ideas. What kind of places would you want to go? There are a lot of underground spaces around here."

"I don't know," Noah said. "A coffee shop? Or maybe a cute place for a date?"

"A cute place for a date, hmmm? You really have been holding out on me." Alex practically shot up for her seat, leaning towards Noah as she wiggled her brows. "Spill. What? Who? When? Please tell me it's not on Tinder - Tinder is a nightmare out here. They probably think you're a local who'll marry them and be the perfect little wife."

Noah scrunched up her nose. "It's not Tinder and I don't even look like a local."

"You have brown skin, almond-shaped eyes, and dark curls," Alex shrugged. "Some of these guys won't know the difference until they hear that American accent and then think you lied to them. But you know, whatever, if not Tinder then what happened? A coworker?"

"No, not a coworker," Noah mused. "We actually met at the little outdoor cafe not far from here, and then she asked me out when we bumped into each other at the aquarium."