(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ Chapter 13: Not Just Some Meeting ♥

Author POV:

Everyone's phone beeped at the same time with a You've Got a New Snap Message alert. 

Emi's invitation; or more accurately, a you-must-come-or-else invitation. 

No-one missed the meeting. Megumi's doorbell rang many times. 

Despite everyone begging her to tell them what had happened, despite Aiko and Kanako and Nakamura furiously demanding what-was-the-meaning-of-this, Emi remained quiet, as did Daiki and Megumi. 

Finally, only once everyone was sitting on the carpet of Megumi's room holding a steaming mug of hot chocolate, did Emi speak. 

Her voice was quiet but commanding, filling up the whole room. No-one had heard Emi speak that way before, her voice radiating authority, fury, and.... fear? "Long ago, I found out something important. Right now, I've finally obtained proof of it, and I can tell you all."

No-one spoke for a moment. Then Sophie spoke up, her voice quiet and quavering. "Ems, please tell me it's not that."

Emi fixed her with a hard stare. "Soph, you couldn't do anything. So I did something for you."

"What are you guys going on about?" Nakamura huffed, but her voice held a note of fear. "Get on with it already, if it's so important."

Emi smiled sadly at Nakamura. "I'm sorry. I'm only trying to drag this out. You see, it might be one of the last moments in which everyone who doesn't know will see you in the same way again."

"What?"

Emi regarded Aiko and Kanako. "Let me explain, then. You know Red X? Sophie was hired there. But Nakamura stole her important files, and ever since she'd been blackmailing Sophie with them. She's threatening to reveal all that government information to the Opposition. But lately I found out it's not just a threat- it's reality. My dad's in with it, and they're planning to reveal it all anyways. They're just playing Sophie. Nakamura even got herself a job at Red X. She's a fake, and she'd been tricking us all, but I'm stopping it right now."

No-one said anything for a long moment. It was so silent you could hear a pindrop.

"Haha. Funny, real funny, Ems," Kanako laughed nervously, breaking the silence. "Good joke."

"It wasn't a joke." Emi said simply.

"That can't be." Aiko frowned. "No. That doesn't... it doesn't... it just doesn't process. No-one would... why would anyone here meddle in country affairs? Why would they even care? It's not like we're politicians or undercover spies or- we're just normal people. "

"That... I'm not sure yet. But I've got a lead." Emi glanced at Nakamura, who was dead silent. "It's Sophie, isn't it?"

"What?" Nakamura followed Kanako's lead, letting out a croaky laugh that sounded more like a gasp for air. Her face was red, her hands shaking. "No. No, no, no, don't, Emi, don't, you've already ruined everything for me, please don't take this from me too, please, just don't."

Emi regarded Nakamura coolly. "Oh, but you've ruined so much more than that for me. You've twisted everything, and now nothing can be the same again. You've put all of us in danger. Heck, you've put the whole country in danger. You were working in cahoots with my fudger of a father. How can I let you get away with it? How can I let you get away with your little secret?"

"No!" Nakamura choked out. "Don't, please, don't, I couldn't bear it, not here, not now. I'll do anything you like, just please don't say."

Daiki and Megumi were looking at Nakamura with a fascinated and shellshocked expression, as if they didn't exactly understand why she was so desperate to keep her crush a secret. Aiko and Kanako looked so confused, while Emi and Nakamura faced off each other.

The tension crackled between them. Meanwhile, Sophie was staring at the carpet, not saying a word. 

A/N: ITS ANOTHER CLIFFHANGER

hmm maybe i should be donned cliffhanger queen as well as plot twister queen 

IM JUST TOO GOOD YALL