Chapter 26

As spring bloomed across the countryside, Louise felt her bond with Sebastian growing stronger. She no longer clung to her formal composure in Sebastian's presence. Instead, she found herself laughing with him, sharing intimate moments of vulnerability, and revelling in the joy of their newfound love.

One day, Sebastian surprised Louise by inviting her to go horseback riding with him across the countryside. As they saddled their mounts, he revealed that they would be riding the same horse together, sharing the experience as equals.

The sun was shining brightly in a cloudless sky as they set off, the horse's hooves clopping rhythmically against the soft earth. Sebastian sat behind her, his strong arms wrapped around her waist, his chest pressed against her back. She could feel the warmth of his body, the steady rhythm of his breath against her neck, and the way his hips moved in time with the horse's gait.

"Tell me, my dear, what is it about me that drew your attention?" he asked, a playful smile dancing on his lips. "Was it my dashing good looks?" She leaned back into him, allowing herself a moment of indulgence.

Louise blushed, keeping her eyes fixed on the path ahead. "I am not sure what you mean, sir," she replied, coyly.

Sebastian guided his horse closer until their legs were nearly touching. Leaning in, he whispered into her ear, "Come now, you must have found something intriguing to capture your interest so." His warm breath caressed her skin, sending a shiver down her spine.

"Well I... I admire your progressive views, sir. You are not like the other nobles I have met. You are kind and thoughtful, and you treat your servants with respect. You have a way of making people feel important, even when they are not." She admitted "And, if I may speak freely, you are not unpleasing to look upon," she added bashfully.

Sebastian let out a delighted laugh. "You flatter me, my dear." Then his expression became serious, his eyes burning into hers. "Everything about you ensnares me - your beauty, your grace, your strength."

Louise's cheeks burned. Just then, Sebastian clicked his tongue and spurred his horse into a gallop. "Keep up if you can!" he called over his shoulder. The wind whipped through her hair as she urged her mount forward, relishing the feel of the horse's muscles tensing beneath her. The countryside flew by in a blur of green and gold, and the sound of their hooves on the earth seemed to echo through the air like thunder.

"Wait, slow down!" she cried, half-laughing, half-screaming. She felt the wind rushing past her, her hair streaming out behind her like a flag, and her heart pounding wildly in her chest. "This is too fast!" Sebastian chuckled; his breath warm against her ear. "Trust me, my dear, it's exhilarating. Just let go and enjoy the ride."

Reluctantly, she did as he said, leaning back into his strong, steady embrace. As she surrendered to the speed and the thrill, she realized that he was right. There was a wild, liberating feeling coursing through her veins, as if she could ride forever, faster and faster, feeling the world spinning past her in a dizzying whirlwind of freedom and joy.

From an upper window of the manor, Lady Cordelia observed the couple riding across the field, their laughter carried on the breeze. She smiled to herself, a deep sense of joy and contentment filling her heart. It had been many years since she had seen her son so carefree, so genuinely happy.

Louise was quietly reading in the library when she sensed a presence and looked up to see Sebastian leaning in the doorway, watching her with a soft smile. His gaze seemed to penetrate her very soul, making her heart flutter. She put down her book and rose to her feet, as he approached her with a slow, deliberate stride.

When he reached her, he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her close. His chest pressed against her back, and she could feel the steady rhythm of his breath against her neck. It sent a shiver through her, making her heart race. "You are truly beautiful, my dear," he whispered into her ear, his voice husky with desire. "I cannot seem to get enough of you."