Chapter 38

When they arrived at Creekwood Seminary, Louise's pupils immediately fawned over adorable Theodore. They showered him with affection, delighted to have a young child around to love and care for. Theodore, in turn, was thrilled to be the centre of attention, his cheeks rosy from laughter and his tiny hands full of cuddly toys.

"He's so cute!" cooed one girl.

"Look at those rosy cheeks!" said another.

Louise made her way to Headmaster Caldwell's office. After sitting down across from him, she said, "Headmaster, I have come to inform you that I will be leaving Creekwood."

Caldwell nodded understandingly. "I wish you all the best, Louise. I hope you are finally able to find the happiness you deserve." He paused, studying her face. "You know, you've always been one of our finest professors here at Creekwood. You'll be missed, not just by the students, but by the staff as well."

"Thank you for your kindness, sir," Louise replied gratefully. "I'll miss this place and the wonderful students here. But I feel that it's time for me to move on and start a new chapter in my life. I am hoping to find a quiet place where I can focus on my own personal growth, and perhaps find some solace in the memories of my sister."

Caldwell nodded thoughtfully. "I understand. And who knows? Perhaps one day, you'll find a way to honour her memory by sharing your knowledge and love for the subject with a new generation of students." He leaned forward, his expression gentle. "If you ever find yourself in need of a fresh start, or simply a place to escape for a while, know that you always have a home here at Creekwood."

As Louise took her leave of the headmaster, she couldn't help but feel a small glimmer of hope. Perhaps one day, she would find her way back to teaching. But for now, she needed time to heal and to rediscover herself. The thought of starting a new life, free from the constraints of her old identity, filled her with both trepidation and excitement.

She collected Theodore from the doting pupils. "Come along dear, it's time we go to our new home." Theodore looked up at her, his big brown eyes filled with confusion. "But I thought we were going to stay here, with all the nice people?" he asked, his tiny voice trembling. "We can go visit them anytime we want, sweetie. But for now, we need to find a special place where we can be happy and learn and grow together," she explained softly, cradling his small form in her arms.

The girls begged Louise, "Oh please, do come back to visit with darling Theodore!" and the adults chimed in as well, "You'll always have a home here at Creekwood." As they left the grounds of the seminary, Louise felt a warmth in her chest that she hadn't experienced in a long time. It was a comforting reminder that, despite the pain she was going through, there were still people who cared for her and her nephew.

Louise promised they would as they loaded into the carriage once more, waving goodbye to the tearful girls.

When they arrived at the cozy cottage that would be their new home, Louise felt a wave of relief wash over her. It was small, but it was perfect for the two of them. The cottage was nestled in the woods, far from the hustle and bustle of the town, surrounded by trees, flowers, and a sparkling brook. It was the perfect place for them to start their new life together.

Louise bent down to Theodore. "This is our home now, my sweet boy. I will care for you just as your mother did. You can always count on my love." Theodore sniffled and buried his face into her chest, taking a deep breath of the fresh, woodsy air. "But what about all my toys?" he asked, looking around.

Louise smiled reassuringly. "Don't worry, we'll make sure to find you some new toys and build you a special play area in the backyard. And who knows? Maybe we'll even find some friends for you to play with." As they stepped inside the cottage, they were greeted by the warmth of the fireplace and the cozy, inviting atmosphere. The cottage had a small kitchen, a living room, and two bedrooms, one for Louise and one for Theodore.