chapter 1

L  A  V  A  N  D  E  R

I leave the castle running. The guards run after me. I keep a firm grip on the bag containing the crown. They won't take me. It's not the first time. I run faster and faster and have lost them. I'm in the woods, the cold air fills my lungs. With the diamond crown in my bag, I take a few more steps. It's cold, snow covers the entire forest. Well, obviously. We are in the Winter Kingdom. 'Night will be proud of me, when i will bring to her the crown.

I notice that, apart from plants, there is nothing in this forest. There are no footprints in the snow except mine. I can take a few minutes break. I take a deep breath. I have shortness of breath and red cheeks. I have never run so fast in my life.

I can't take a long break because I hear voices behind me: the guards are reaching me. I start running again at full speed, until the voices disappear again.It was close.

I look at the horizon, but there are no longer just trees: an imposing tower is in front of me. It is completely covered in snow, but it doesn't seem uninhabited.

It's worth a try. I begin to scale his height, my hands slipping every now and then. It is not easy to climb if it is covered in snow. But who would ever come to live in the middle of a forest?I get to the window, which I think is also the front door.I go in, but no one is there. The tower is habited, since it is filled with food and personal items.

I start looking around, when something hits me on the head and I pass out on the floor.