chapter eight: holes

Engaged in her routine tasks, Carter diligently maintained the campsite's cleanliness and surveyed the perimeter for potential threats, much like the previous walker that had ventured too close. The encroaching danger was palpable, the undead drawn nearer by the diminishing food supply in the vast city of Atlanta. They now roamed in disarray, either individually or in haunting herds.

Lost in contemplation of the looming menace, Carter couldn't shake the grim expectation that they would inevitably lose more comrades to the relentless hands of the undead.

A familiar voice interrupted her thoughts — Jaqui, an older woman than Carter, approached with a query. "Hey, Carter. What are you doing out here?"

"Just checking the perimeter. Can't afford any more surprises," Carter replied with a nervous smile, her eyes briefly glancing downward.

Jaqui, offering a reassuring touch on Carter's shoulder, suggested, "Why not come back and join us for a meal? Your mother is with Emberly."

Nodding in agreement, Carter cast one last gaze towards the looming forest before following Jaqui back, the weight of impending threats lingering in the air.

-

Taking her place between Brandon and her mother with Allison Grimes sat behind her, Carter cradled Emberly in her arms, playfully bouncing the baby on her legs. Emberly responded with joyful coos, reaching out towards Brandon, who remained indifferent, seemingly uninterested. Unfazed, Carter wrinkled her nose in a playful manner at her daughter and offered a warm smile.

"Can you cut it out?" Brandon grunted, his irritation evident. "It's annoying."

"If it bothers you, feel free to walk away. I'm spending time with OUR daughter," Carter retorted, rolling her eyes. In the daylight, she felt confident in speaking her mind, aware that physical threats were less likely.

"Watch your mouth. Just because you've got all these eyes on you now doesn't mean I can't handle you," Brandon spat back, his threat lingering in the air.

Before Carter could respond, the voice of Morales redirected their attention. "Oh baby, would you look at that. Hey, check it out," he laughed. "Ladies, because of you, my children will eat tonight. Thank you."

Andrea chimed in with gratitude, directing it toward Dale. "Thank Dale. It's his canoe and gear."

Excitedly, Carl handed the tied fish to Lori, exclaiming, "Mom, look at all the fish!"

Lori accepted the fish, her expression revealing a touch of distaste. Carter observed, noting that things between them were still far from good, a fact that didn't particularly concern her.

"Whoa," echoed Carl.

"Yeah, whoa. Where did you two learn to do that?" Lori inquired, nodding and chuckling.

"Our dad," Amy chimed in, hands resting on her hips.

Carl, brimming with enthusiasm, asked, "Can you teach me how to do that?"

"You should teach Allison how to do it.. We'd starve if it was left to her." Carter chuckled, cracking a joke towards Allison who just shoved her by the shoulder and laughed alongside her.

Brandon glared at the girls, for some reason, he had never liked Allison. Maybe it was the countless times that he had accused Carter of sleeping with her or maybe it was the times that Hazel had refused to sleep with him. It was a mystery at this point.

"Sure. I'll teach you all about nail knots and stuff. If that's okay," Amy offered, glancing at Lori.

"You won't catch me arguing," Lori replied with a nonchalant shrug.