Chapter 32

Nic's POV

The tension around this house since last night has been very tense. Almost everyone has spent time in the gym at some point except Ale which is unusual. Actually, I haven't seen him at all, but he's either in his room or left last night. I can't stand to be in the house doing nothing much longer, but I can't be alone with my thoughts either. I pull out my phone hoping it's not too early.

Hi, are you still up to get coffee with me? I text Annie after a bit she texts back.

Of course. Where do you want to meet? she texts.

Sweet smiles on 22nd Street. I text.

See you there at 9. She texts.

Sounds good.

I get ready and leave before anyone can ask me any questions. I get to the cafe early and sit at a table with two chairs beside the window watching the rain pour. Some say the rain makes them sad because it's the sky crying, but I think it's the best weather a close runner-up being snow in Italy. After a bit more of watching the rain, I see Annie walking by. Her blonde hair curled at the bottom flowing perfectly behind her as she quickly walks to get out of the rain. When she walks in I go over to greet her. We walk up to the counter and order our coffee and I pay before she can even get her wallet out.

"Oh thank you," her beautiful voice says.

"I invited you," I justify myself although I don't know why. We sit back down at the table I occupied earlier.

"Let's get to know each other better," she says.

"Okay ask me a question," I tell her.

"Where are you from?"

"I was born in Italy but I mostly lived here," I say.

"I love Italy and that's why Charlotte is so good at Italian," she says.

"Where are you from?" I ask.

"I grew up in Colorado in the mountains and went to Ole Miss and fell in love with the south, but I missed the mountains so I decided South Carolina gives me a bit of both," she says. I listen closely to every word she says.

"What's your favorite color," she asks.

"Green but like a dark emerald, and you?"

"Purple now you ask a question."

"Favorite place you visited," I say.

"Italy you?"

"Europe in general but I love Spain," I say. "Favorite animal."

"That's hard either a dog or monkey. What about you?" She says.

"An elephant," I say. We keep asking each other questions agreeing that the best sport is football hockey the second. Pasta is the best food and fall is the best season. Before I know it three hours have passed. That's when my phone starts blowing up. I don't want to go home so I turn it off.

"You can answer it if you need to," she says politely.

"No, it's my brothers they can wait," I say. "Do you have any siblings?" I ask. 

"I have an older brother who's three years older and a sister who's two years older," she tells me. "I know you have a lot of siblings how many in total?" She asks.

"Get ready," I joke. "I have seven. Giovanni is the oldest and guardian for the younger five, Vincenzo is two years older than me. Then Matteo is two years younger than me then the twins are seniors in high school, Bruno is a junior, and Charlotte is a sophomore," I say.