055 - The Tunnel

SIREN hung over the sink they got by now, her hair and skin wet from the way she splashed cold water into her face. Her hands clasped around the edges, and she failed her desperate tries of stopping the sobs and uneven breaths.

Just when she took another deep inhale, someone turned her around. Her eyes met Thomas's in a second.

"Hey." And he wrapped his arms around her. Siren gasped at a sob that was mixed with a sigh, then rested her chin on his shoulder, blinking tears away.

"I'm sorry," she choked out, and sniffed her nose. Another cry. "I thought it was the right crate—."

"Baby-."

"—and I didn't even check the other ones," she cried. "I thought I heard him and- and," another sob, "and now months of planning is ruined."

"Siren," he cut her off before she could continue, holding her face between his hands. His thumb wiped one of the tears away. "It's not your fault. You didn't ruin anything," he said, tone serious. "And you know what Aris just told me?"

Siren looked up at him with another sniff. She shrugged poorly.

"He was in the crate. Aris told me Minho was in the same crate as them." He nodded when she frowned. "So you chose the right crate. It had been the one with Minho, but..." He paused for a moment. Took a breath. "But Sonya claimed Janson moved him out before we lifted their crate into the air."

The furrow in her eyebrows deepened. "How? He wasn't in the crate... right? Janson- how could he just show up and..?"

"We think he was in the crate next to it. If he somehow managed to transport Minho into that one without us noticing..." He mumbled, then shrugged. "All I know now is that I will not go to the Safe Haven without Minho."

Siren's jaw tightened. Of course it had to be Janson- it was always Janson. Always the one ruining everything. And she wanted him dead.

Thomas lifted an eyebrow. "What're you thinking?"

"I want to kill Janson," she murmured, remembering how good it had felt to shoot all those guards. The tingle in her stomach at watching them die like they deserved.

Guards who didn't fight back were the ones she wouldn't kill, but the rest?

"Then I'll help," Thomas assured. He nodded firmly. "Always."

Siren raised both of her eyebrows. Her tears got replaced by a small smirk. Her lips curved up.

He tilted his head, eyes squinting. "What?"

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Thomas was thoughtful until his face lit up. "Oh, definitely."

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

"Where do you think you're going then?"

A light switches on, and the couple stopped in their tracks. Thomas still held the bag in his hands and Siren was readjusting the gun in her waistband when they both froze.

"Newt..."

"Don't be twat about it. I'm already in." The boy walked closer to them, his face triumphant.

"No," they said at the same time, and Siren continued. "Even if we find Minho, there's no guarantee we make it back from this."

He crossed his arms. Leaned against the car after he opened it and Fry appeared behind the wheel. "You'll need all the help you can get then, won't you?"