47. LARA: RESCUE

"Lara? Lara, are you in there?"

"Silas! I'm in here!"

I hurried to the door and slammed my fists against it as I called his name. I fell silent when nothing happened. Footsteps faded, making tears fill my eyes. He was leaving without me.

"I'm in here! Please don't leave me. Come back!"

I jumped away from the door when someone slammed on it. I held my breath and listened for more sounds. It was dark outside with only a few stars decorating the sky. I had watched the sunset from the window—it was all I could see. Wherever we were, the building wasn't surrounded by any other buildings. Tall grass stretched on for miles, so even if I somehow got out of the building, I had nowhere to hide and nowhere to run.

At least in the room I had a way of drinking water and I get food from time to time.

My attention snapped back to the present when I heard the lock click. I stumbled backwards until my calves hit the edge of the bed. My heartbeat increase when the door slowly opened. Relieve flooded me as my eyes locked with peculiar but familiar eyes.

"Silas," I breathed.

He smiled at me. "I came to rescue my princess from the big bad dragon."

A shaky laugh fell from my lips. He was here. Silas stepped into the room and closed the door behind him before he turned again to face me. He took one step before I rushed forward and threw myself at him. I breathed in his scent as I clung to him. He was here, he was really here.

"I m-missed you."

His arms tightened. "I missed you too baby."

I didn't even care that he called me baby. He had come for me and that was all that mattered. Silas lowered me to the floor and took a step back. His eyes darted over my face and then down my body.

"Did he hurt you?" I shook my head. "Good."

"Silas—"

He leaned down and pressed his lips against mine before I could finish my sentence. I clung to him. It was important for him to understand what I felt for him. As I slid my hands into his hair, I realized that something had changed. The body pressed against me wasn't so firm and muscled anymore. His hair was shorter too.

I broke the kiss and stared up at Silas. But it wasn't Silas anymore. Silas had changed into another familiar face—a man I feared. He smiled. I stumbled away from him as fast as I could and he let me go. His smile was pure evil. Slowly, he stalked closer like a predator about to catch his prey.

My eyes darted to the door. It wasn't locked; I hadn't heard him lock it again. I'd rather be out there than inside the room with this man. The moment he was far enough from the door, I made a dash for it. He reached out but his fingers only brushed the skin of my arm as I passed.

The door opened easily. I ran out into the hall but came to a sudden stop. The scenery changed to a familiar room. I stood in the middle of the living room of Ethan's house. My confusion intensified when I saw Ethan sitting on the couch. I took a step forward and then froze when Avery entered the room carrying a squirming baby.

"Can you take him for a moment? I need to finish dinner before Silas gets home," Avery said as she handed the baby to Ethan.

"I just talked to him. He'll be here in ten minutes."

Ethan smiled down at the baby. He made a face and then laid the baby against his chest. I closed my eyes as pain shot through me. How long had I been gone for? They had a baby! My eyes snapped open when I heard the front door open. I turned and waited. Silas entered the house not long after. He dropped something onto the couch as he walked right past me.