𝘼 𝙎𝙒𝘼𝙉 𝙄𝙉 𝘼 𝘾𝘼𝙂𝙀

Following our instructions to our assigned "home" my fellow tributes and I entered with uncertainty, stepping into a place that not even a cat would consider suitable for dwelling, let alone finding a place to sleep

Following our instructions to our assigned "home" my fellow tributes and I entered with uncertainty, stepping into a place that not even a cat would consider suitable for dwelling, let alone finding a place to sleep. As we navigated this unfamiliar space, my thoughts lingered on the well-being of my mentor. Despite the challenging circumstances, I managed to maintain composure throughout the evening. Despite the constant presence of the tribute accompanying me, a glimmer of hope emerged when I learned that District 12 chosen Male Tribute was handling the situation with as much caution as I was. In comparison to my approach, he believed that maintaining silence was the winner's best remedy.

Despite our initial differences, there was an inexplicable connection that allowed us to bond on the very first night in these confined quarters. In a somewhat equitable arrangement, mentors would intermittently check on their respective tributes, and this day happened to be Jacob's turn. I had learned his name briefly during casual conversations with his mentor, adding to my anticipation of meeting Coriolanus upon reflection. The visit from mentors, marked by scattered sandwiches and glimpses of Capitol citizens interacting with the new recruits, passed uneventfully. It wasn't until the following day, after my sleeping shift, that I could sense Coriolanus' distinct figure approaching.

What caught my attention initially wasn't his enthusiasm for engaging in further conversation but the confident way he carried himself. The gazes from the citizens followed him, forming an alliance that held a distinct significance on this inaugural day before the Games commenced. Rumors has it. That today, journalists were invited to the Capitol's heritage, shedding light on what lay ahead for the 11th edition. Despite the secrecy surrounding the previous unreleased Games, Coriolanus emerged as the Capitol's favorite, and the journalists' visit only seemed to solidify and impress his favoritism.

"Seems like you've settled in comfortably." He remarked with the same tone and voice. This time, without any context, it felt natural—a subtle connection between us as I approached along the narrow fences that separated us. There was an eagerness in my voice as I carefully spoke his name, and a hint of pride flashed across his face as he acknowledged my presence with a nod. "I've got the usual for you as well." He added, handing me a crumpled piece of aluminum from his bag. To my surprise, there were two pieces, indicating one for Jacob and one for me. Even though Jacob's mentor had came by earlier, there was something in Coriolanus that acknowledged the poor treatment—doing the bare minimum to let your tribute survive. "Next time, I'll make sure Miss Jenkins gets you the right amount of food."

This gesture of kindness led me to believe that Coriolanus was genuinely committed to taking care of me, whether it was a strategic move to secure the Capitol's affection for himself or a sincere expression of humanity. Finally, I recognized a more humanized side within him. However, if my mom were here, she'd likely advise me to remain vigilant. In today's world, people often highlight their kindness until the very end, only to move on afterward. Despite this skepticism, I tried to hold onto a shield of caution. Yet, as my mentor demonstrated an understanding of my strengths and expressed genuine belief in me, a glimmer of hope sparked within. Perhaps, against the odds, life wasn't entirely a tale of hopeless love.