𝙈𝙀𝙍𝘾𝙄𝙁𝙐𝙇

Amidst the days leading up to the annual Games, Swan's well-being took a downturn upon realizing her mentor's absence

Amidst the days leading up to the annual Games, Swan's well-being took a downturn upon realizing her mentor's absence. Some tributes keenly observed this change and couldn't resist teasing her about it. Jacob, however, saw an opportunity in this development, suspecting that either something had occurred to Snow or an event the previous night had unfolded to create such excitement. This potential turn of events could potentially shift the odds in his favor for victory instead of Swan's. Unfortunately, this hopeful prospect didn't endure for long.

On the contrary, Corionalus exerted great effort to avoid distractions and remain focused. However, he found himself spending an excessive amount of time in Dr. Gaul's lab instead of being with his tribute. This choice fueled rumors suggesting that Snow's tribute had met an unfortunate end, implying that Corionalus was destined to remain under Dr. Gaul's guidance until the conclusion of the 11th Games. This speculation wasn't entirely accurate, as just a few weeks prior, he ensured Swan's proper nourishment and training. Yet, presently, he seemed oblivious and irked by her outspoken stance. Although Swan hadn't officially declared her intentions, her clear reluctance to be associated with Snow or assume the role of the First Lady of Panem after her victory was evident. Consequently, allowing her to go hungry became his sole strategy to erase her from his thoughts entirely.

It didn't take just a few days for Snow to become utterly incapacitated, making any movement unbearable for her. Initially, many dismissed it, attributing it to a common homesickness that would eventually pass, like it did for others. However, in Snow's case, the situation was vastly different. As a Peacekeeper took notice and Dr. Gaul persistently worked towards positioning Swan as the potential victor, Snow's lackluster care for her, fueled by self-deception, became apparent. It was Dr. Gaul who discovered Swan in complete disarray shortly before training commenced. Her intuition warned her that without proper assistance, the District 12 girl would collapse sooner rather than later. This was a scenario Dr. Gaul could not let slide, despite Coriolanus's disapproval.

"Get her to the ER immediately!" Dr. Gaul urgently recommended, her tone causing even those who took pleasure in teasing Swan to shift from amusement to concern. The tributes maintained composure until the District 12 girl was properly escorted to medical assistance. Coriolanus, engrossed in final paperwork provided by Dr. Gaul, was abruptly confronted with undeniable facts. His fingers halted mid-action upon receiving the news, and his gaze lingered distantly as the Peacekeeper delivered the distressing update. The realization struck him—his actions and lack of attention had been so conspicuous that he had completely neglected his primary responsibility. Snow couldn't comprehend how a woman of such strength could exhibit vulnerability in his absence, and despite his reluctance to admit it, this realization pained him profoundly.

In a split second, he broke into a sprint, covering the distance to the Academy's medical wing. Even though he feared it might be too late, a nagging suspicion crept in that he would find Swan declared dead upon arrival. The prospect of his own foolish actions causing further grief in the Capitol weighed heavily on him, especially after the tragic incident involving Arachne Crane. Snow had warned himself that if such a situation were to recur, forgiveness would be hard to come by. Approaching the Medical Wing, he couldn't suppress the desperate screams of Swan's name. "Swan! Swan!" He repeated, his hand gesturing for assistance as he reached the secretary booth. The calm voice of the secretary, while guiding him, hinted at a suspicion that he might be connected to the reason behind his tribute's distressed state. Despite this, she kept her silence and dutifully led Snow to Swan's resting room.