Chapter XXXVIII: A New Stage

11th Moon

1st Phase

2020

5:32am

It was time to escape. Thanks to noise in the background proved distracting for those on the background, reinforcement was more interested in pacifying the Conductor than the breakout I was performing.

One by one the electronic gates opened, prisoners carefully crossing with the three idols on corralling everyone together.

"Is that everyone?"

"Nineteen, twenty, twenty-one. Yes, that's all of us," pointed Takeuchi.

"Okay. I foresaw a door on the back that could help us escape without the need for attention. Hopefully it connects us to the back entrance. Follow me!"

Taking the lead with the idols, everyone ran with all their strength to keep up with the trail we left. Like a colony of ants, everyone followed in a file line, looking over their shoulders over potential stalkers. Takeuchi stayed a bit in the back while Celine kept an eye on everyone in the front so as to not straggle from the group. Suffice to say, our escape displayed no signs of stalling itself thanks in due part to the crude methods of the Conductor, buying us a bit of time to escape.

Opening through some doors, we arrived on a wooden platform that connected us to the lower docks. The crashing of the waves gave us a gentle breeze, symbolizing the everflowing wind of freedom that was to be handed to us.

"Drat. A dead end."

"And if the waves are anything to tell us, swimming isn't an option as well."

"I recall a passage on one of the corners we passed. If we go now, maybe we can-"

Just as I was recalling a bang caught our attention. An elongated bullet zipped across the end of the dark tunnel. Though my developed reflexes were able to push Trinity to the floor, it wasn't enough to avoid it myself, scraping my shoulder as the blood stained my stripped shirt.

/Crap that was fast, real fast!//

"Ms. Goldilocks!" cried the idols.

"I'm impressed. Normally when I hit my targets they either end up on the floor injured or dead. And yet you somehow dodged both."

A man veiled in the shadows, stepped into the night sky to show himself. Wearing a drab colored navy-like coat, it started right around his fluffy beard and ended right around the calfs. Though no discernable detail could be perceived from his face, the voice sounded that of someone of a late age, having a hoarse voice as he coughed between his words.

"Can't promise you'll get lucky next time lass."

"We're doom, it's the Warden!"

"The Warden?"

"He is the sadist who has had a watchful eye on us. In charge of keeping us in line, he uses whatever methods that comes to his mind, even if it means breaking us in the process."

"How awful!"

"They had it coming though," interjected the Warden. "Had they continued to be his guinea pig, then their fate wouldn't have been sealed. Those that aren't grateful by the gifts he's bestowed deserve nothing less than death."

"Gifts!That damn master of yours cursed us with that thing in our bodies! How am I going to explain to my parents that I've got a living space rock stuck in me!"

//Space rock?//

"That doesn't concern me. I get paid to watch the prisoners and take them out if required. Take it up with them if you have a problem. Who knows, maybe they'll give you that freedom you seek out of your worthless lives."