TWO

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

________________________________

JULIETTE settled quite quickly into her new life of neuro fellow at Seattle Grace. Derek was letting her do fun stuff. Bailey had warmed to her in a way she hadn't expected but enjoyed nonetheless. Especially considering there was no one else really. The interns were still annoying. But, that's interns in general. The hotel were starting to get to know her. A fresh paper every day. No longer having to ask how she had her tea or coffee, it arriving perfectly always. And she'd even found a great hair oil to combat the Seattle weather, hair no longer frizzing, instead back to the glossy curls she was used to.

Of course, there were still memories from before playing over and over. The pizza place was good but not as good. The humour was closer to London level but still not quite there. Oh and of course Jack. Still not happy. Still complaining. In between telling her how much he missed her and loved her of course.

________________________________

BAILEY was watching her.

Juliette could sense it. Feel the weight of her gaze, the heat tearing through skin and muscle, flicking away ligaments and tendons before landing on the nerve. Eyes moving slowly, as far to the left as they would, she could just about see the outer edge of the woman. Arms crossed? Leaning against the wall, definitely.

Jules carried on typing.

A few rogue hairs drifted out of place and she pushed them back with a flick of her wrist. The brief movement allowing for another glance. Lips were pursed now. Her fingers glided over the keys, notes appearing on the screen before her as she ran her tongue over her teeth, mind flicking back and forth between the new patient and the (slightly/very) scary resident stood watching over her like she was a piece of prey. The cursor blinked at her as she faltered, manicured fingers hovering above the keys. Not being able to take it anymore, Juliette flicked her head to the left, a perfectly plucked eyebrow raising in question before plummeting into confusion.

"What is it Bailey?" No rush or rudeness in her voice, just a defeatist wonder, a flat questioning.

With that the woman breathed in, chin rising, face still composed in a mirthless irritation. She took a step forward, the rising intonation of "you know Derek Shepherd... don't you." reaching Jules just as Bailey reached the nurses station, arms resting on top of it, eyebrow cocked and eyes heavy with an almost disappointment.

"Well, yeah..." obviously almost followed too but she managed to stop herself. It felt too petulant. Like she was a child being told off.

Maybe she was.

"Family." Bailey enunciated every single syllable, "that's what you said."

Juliette was brave enough to shrug at that, "sort of."

A heavy silence followed. One where it felt as though Bailey was staring straight into her brain, assessing every neuron that was firing. Uncomfortable under the intense gaze, she shifted in her seat, own eyes flicking from each of the woman's before her to the wall behind, the light on the roof, her badge, before landing back on her eyes.

"You know."

"Pardon?"

She leaned forward then, voice dropping but with no loss of power, "about your sort of family and one of my interns."