Chapter 1: The Anxious Padawan

Anxious as always, Briony Zarallia exhaled in an attempt to immerse herself deeper into her mediation.

The experienced and longtime Padawan sat in an upright position with her hands gently placed on her knees.

The concept of focus and concentration was at the forefront of her mind, yet the sheer prospect of actually grasping onto those ideas felt impossible oftentimes.  Being able to learn how to harness those abilities at a moment's notice, seemed as ambitious of a task as her becoming a fluent Shyriiwook speaker overnight for kriffs-sake!

As the seconds passed, her eyes began to twitch, her brows furrowed, as an exponentially growing cloud of unease flooded her mind.  It was as if a storm was brewing on an otherwise picture-perfect day.

Unlike her usual worries though, this felt... Different.

Having had just about enough of this irritating feeling that encased her mind, Briony allowed her eyes to flutter open.  As her eyelids raised up like curtains on a window, she involuntarily blinked a few times to adjust to the sudden light. 

It was a bright morning on Coruscant.  The sun cast down its powerful rays onto the peaceful courtyard located in the Jedi Temple.  The branches of the large tree that stood proudly in the small, enclosed utopia that was the courtyard, swayed slowly back and forth. 

Briony sighed in defeat.  This feeling had plagued her mind for the past few days, looming over her like a rain cloud ready to burst at an unannounced and unexpected time.

Her comlink beeped like it normally did.  This time though, Briony jumped at the sudden noise.

Why am I so on edge?  Pull it together!  Geez...

Swiftly pulling her wrist up to her to her face, she accepted her Master's call.

"Hello Master," Briony answered as casually as possible.  This was done in the hopes to keep her odd feeling on the down low for the time being.  The last thing she wanted to do was stress out her Master right before a mission due to her unexplainable and irrational feelings.  She would bring it up to her when appropriate.

It wasn't unlike her to be anxious given her specific diagnosed anxiety disorder.  Years ago, early on in her Padawan-ship, Jedi Knight Aayla Secura had been concerned for her wellbeing.  She had pushed Briony to get assistance with the psychological specialist at the Jedi Temple.

"Briony," Aayla Secura responded calmly, "the mission briefing begins in 20 minutes.  I'm surprised to see that you are not already here like you usually are."  Amusement was definitely evident in her voice.

Briony's eyes widened at her Master's voice.

She scrambled to check the time.

20 karking minutes?!

She gasped as her internal dialogue of thoughts went rampant.

What is going on with me lately?!

"I'm on my way!" Briony packed up her couple of belongings that were located by the tree's stump.

"Calm yourself, my Padawan..." Aayla's soothing voice stated over the comlink before being frantically interrupted by her 19-year-old apprentice.

"I've got to go!" Briony hurriedly cut in. 

"Very well..." Aayla sighed.  By now, she was used to her Padawan's anxious tendencies.  Despite being accustomed to Briony's seemingly set-in stone behavior, it didn't mean that she thought too fondly of it.  If only Briony would learn to calm herself and let go more easily.

And on that note, Briony hung up.  After she grabbed her cup Meiloorun Fruit infused tea and her lightly colored robe, she sprinted out of the courtyard.

As she bolted through the hallways of the Temple, she did her very best not to spill any of her drink.  She skidded around each corner masterfully and navigated past the small crowds of people.  Briony knew that multiple heads must have found their way to her frantic and running figure... Not that she would've known though... since she preoccupied with all the running and balancing of her tea to notice such minor details.

In a record time, Briony managed to make it to the briefing room.

Her Master stood on the other side of the room.  Upon hearing and sensing her Padawan... which didn't take a Jedi's senses at all due to the abrupt entrance given, she turned.  "You look as though you have participated in the recent Naboo marathon," Secura sarcastically commented, speaking with her usual demeanor.

"Nonsense," Briony scoffed as she tried to steady her panting breaths.  "I walked here as casually as ever, Master!"  As if on cue, she felt a bead of sweat roll down her forehead from her hairline.

Well... that certainly isn't helping sell my case...

"Right..." Secura smirked slightly as she turned her attention back to the Holomap.  "Finish acquainting yourself with the mission before the others make their anticipated arrivals."

"Yes, Master," Briony nodded, swiping at her partially sweaty forehead.

Keep your focus on the mission, Bri...  That's all you need to do right now.

Briony could only hope that her motivating self-talk would keep the running thoughts in her mind at bay.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here's my OC Briony Zarallia! :