Part 3

In January, Matty finds excuses to come to the Dirty Hit office every other day. He sometimes slides behind her in the small kitchenette, his hand running dangerously low along the small of her back, out of sight from the people buzzing around the space. During meetings in the boardroom, she can see his eyes darken with every sway of her hips as she passes paperwork around the room.

Eventually the flirtations end, and a full blown affair starts. Britt starts scheduling private meetings in her office, just her and Matty. The door always shut, and the blinds drawn closed. It's reminiscent of their time on the bus, but she doesn't think about that when he bends her over her desk and pulling her underwear aside.

She rides him in the driver's seat of his car in the empty underground carpark after everyone has gone home for the evening. His hands hold her hips as his head rests on the back of the seat with his eyes closed. The windows fog up, and they both ignore the incoming call from his girlfriend, his phone buzzing in the cup holder next to hers.

The touches are dark, toxic, and mean. Matty bruises her thighs with his belt buckle as he moves inside her, and Brittany leaves marks on his hip bones in the shape of her teeth. Neither of them apologise at the almost abusive pace they give, almost punishing each other for what could've been. What should've been.

He thinks he might hate her a little bit after everything.

He hates himself more.

~~~

The UK/European leg of Taylor's tour starts, and almost everyone Brittany knows attends at least one of the many sold-out Wembley shows. The night Denise meant to arrive, Brittany's given the night off to watch from the VIP tents with her "family". She's stopped trying to correct people when it comes to the Healy's and Welch's in her life, too exhausted explaining the intricacies.

When she steps through the canvas doorway, Matty and his girlfriend are the first people she clocks. The model's face displays her annoyance at the intrusion, and turns her body away, facing the stage instead. After Matty's family had crowded around her, kissing her cheeks and squeezing her to death in a tight hug, Denise mentions about Paul, wonders aloud if he'll be joining them with a cheeky elbow nudge and a wink.

"No, he's away on business tonight," Brittany explains.

"What does he do again?" Lincoln asks.

"I have no idea," she giggles.

Matty and his girl don't join their conversation, keeping to themselves in the back corner of the tent. She and Matty share secret glances when they think nobody is looking, and their hands brush when Britt passes him one of the beaded bracelets from a fan. He asks what the initials mean, and she thinks the universe is out to get her when she recognizes the abbreviation of the Illicit Affairs bridge adorning his wrist.

During the show, she dances with Louis and his girlfriend, spinning around quickly and singing arm in arm. Lincoln extends his hand to Matty's girl, but she declines, telling him she can't dance. Brittany rolls her eyes before Lincoln grabs her, leading her around the tent to Fearless. Her laughter echoes throughout the canvas, and she can see Matty pursing his lips, trying to hide his smile.

"When does this finish?" she hears a whiny voice ask during the Folklore set, and Louis exhales sharply in annoyance.

~~~

The show ends in riotous applause as always, the crowd thunderous in their love, and Britt loops her arm through Louis' girlfriends and leads everyone down the side of the stage to the dressing area. All the dancers and Taylor's band are having a celebratory drink after another successful show. They cheer when they see Brittany enter the space, coming over to everyone who follows.