3. THE MENTOR

LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO

The 72nd Hunger Games

After saying goodbye to The Covey, she was escorted by peacekeepers to the train that would take her to the capitol

After saying goodbye to The Covey, she was escorted by peacekeepers to the train that would take her to the capitol. On the train she turns to look at her fellow tribute, noticing his ever-present fear she grasped his hand. He flinched away quickly before realising it was just her and clutched onto her like a lifeline. Nessa Jade knew Dallas, he loved hanging out with Millie Iris, she'd show him how to play the tambourine and he'd show her how to play games him and his family played, which she would later show the rest of The Covey.

Aurelia showed up, displaying her pearly white smile, "follow me, children."

Keeping a tight grasp on his hand, they both follow their escort, Aurelia Trinket, into one of the train carriages. The room was a kitchen, with snacks and drinks on display that both tributes would never even dream of having in district 8. Dallas unclasped Nessa's hand and ran toward the snack pantry. Grabbing odd looking foods and taking them to the wooden table in the centre of the room.

10 minutes go by, and Nessa and Dallas were sitting on the table eating the snacks together when the carriage door burst open. A large man with a salt and pepper hair walked through the door, adorned in his weathered leather jacket. His tall and strong build towered over the two tributes. His face was completely blank as he scanned over the children in front of him.

And then he laughed.

He just laughed.

Both of the tributes looked to each other, confusion swirling in their eyes as they were both intimidated and concerned by the random laughter. What was there to laugh about? They were being lead to a slaughterhouse.

"You know, you got some balls on you kid." He stated, looking directly at Nessa Jade as he sat down in front of the two. "I mean singing and then telling the man in charge to kiss your ass. Priceless. You got fire."

"Yeah well, what's he gonna do? Kill me?" she fired back with a smirk. Aurelia had left the room at this point claiming she had business to do, and Dallas walked off to find his room exhausted from the day.

His face falls, the grin no longer there, "be careful what you say kid, I can tell you're smart, but don't be reckless." A knowing look in his eyes. "Keep being yourself but don't do stupid shit, you win those games. And you certainly have a chance to. You need to be careful."

She looked up at the man across from her and her confident façade began to slip, the severity of the situation she was in finally settling in, "I know, and I want to win, but I want him to know that he has no power over me."

Her grandmother let the snow land on top and it ended up with her buried alive, forgotten about in the history books. While he became president of Panem, she ran away to district 8 made a family and was never heard from again.

Dean Wilde's eyes swam with pity as he looked upon the 17-year-old girl. He knew there was a deeper reason running behind her words, he didn't know it yet but was determined to find out.

Knowing he wasn't going to get more out of her he said, "go change before dinner, we'll talk about skills for the game with Dallas."

The young girl left the table leaving Dean Wilde to contemplate on what his next move should be with his tributes. Nessa Jade, she had a chance of winning, that's for sure. He couldn't say the same for young Dallas just yet.

 He couldn't say the same for young Dallas just yet

AUTHORS NOTE

Hey readers! I am so sorry it's been a while since i have updated, I've been away on holidays and haven't found the time to update so here is a shorter chapter to say sorry and i will begin working on the next one. Minnie_tea had a suggestion for the love interest to be Snows grandson, and I think I will take them up on that idea, so thank you! lmk what you guys think of this. ☺️