2. HISTORY REPEATS

LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO

The 72nd Hunger Games

THE NEXT MORNING NESSA JADE woke up with the sun shining down on her before it was overshadowed by the clouds in the sky

THE NEXT MORNING NESSA JADE woke up with the sun shining down on her before it was overshadowed by the clouds in the sky. Today's reaping felt different for her, almost as if after this event the pieces of fates intricate puzzle would slowly start to be put together.

Starting with her.

The bricks weighing down her stomach almost made her feel nauseous, something was screaming at her, this time is different, this time Nessa Jade Baird would continue her grandmother's legacy and take down those who wronged her.

She could feel in her gut that she was going to be reaped this year. Looking through her clothes she found an old dress at the bottom of the box, it was multi coloured tulle connected to a corset with flowers on it.

As she took a closer look, she could see the crimson blood stains. And an embroidered name tag. Lucy Gray. Based off of the stains and the weathered colouring of the tulle she could only assume this was the dress she wore in her hunger games 62 years ago.

Lifting the dress out of the box a photo fell, containing her grandmother and the old covey members. She was dressed in the very same dress; however, it included a washed-out purple undershirt that Nessa Jade couldn't find anywhere.

It was decided, she knew this year was her year to get chosen, to be sent to death. She wanted to send a message, to Snow. That no matter how much he would try to bury his past alive, it would always come back to haunt him.

And this time Nessa Jade Baird would be the cause of his demise.

She quickly got dressed before making her way towards the district square, where the reaping was held. Lining up in the herd of zombies waiting for their possible death sentence, she couldn't help but imagine the look on Snows face when he realises who she is. His face dropping, his heart in his stomach, and his face turning as white as his name.

Her lips quirked up slightly before falling. Her hand was taken by one of the peacekeepers and her finger was pricked. She walked towards the girl's section, finding her age group, she spotted Ava Honey, Millie Iris and Sadie Sky further to the front as they were younger than she was. She also saw Sebastian Fern near them as well, on the opposite side. Lily Rose and Toby Green were lucky though, they were both nineteen now. They were safe.

She waited in silence as the capitols video played. It was the same every year, she could probably recite it word for word if she wanted to. She didn't. She waited as Aurelia Trinket, District 8's escort spewed some bullshit speech. She waited until the words.

"Now let's start with the female tribute for District 8."

A smirk began to rise up on her face.

Aurelia dipped her hand into the bowl of tributes.

Silence spread across the district.

The only sound was that of rustling paper.

One breath. Two breaths.

One heartbeat.

"Nessa Jade Baird."

Her mouth twisted into a full smirk. Gasps of shock sounded throughout the district. No one believed that she would be picked. Out of everyone. The songbird. The one they would most likely doubt had a mean bone in her body. How would she survive the games?

She knew she would. Take that as you will, arrogance, cockiness. She just had confidence in herself. Faith, that she would land on top.

She began to slowly walk towards the stage. Her posture slightly hunched over. Her hair hiding her smirking face. Her walk was slightly staggered. She made her way up to the stage and her posture revealed her face. The smirk. This caught everyone in the district off guard.

Her smirk.

Almost as if she wanted this.

Walking up the steps she noticed Dean Wilde standing to the side of the stage. The victor of the 43rd Hunger Games. He watched her with curiosity and amusement swirling in his eyes. He was thinking maybe, just maybe, District 8 has a winner this year. He wouldn't have to see both his tributes die. Again.

Nessa walked up to the stage and stood next to Aurelia, smirk now gone, staring directly into the cameras.

Shivers rans up the spines of the capitol citizens watching. And President Snow's heart dropped into his stomach.

Aurelia cleared her throat before continuing.

"And the male victor for District 8 is, Dallas Jackson."

A scream was heard through the area, and a young boy around 13 years old was pushed out by his fellow district members. His eyes were frantic, welling up with tears as he walked up to the stage taking his place next to Nessa Jade.

"Mm well that conclu-"Aurelia began to speak.

"Can't take my past, can't take my history." Sadie Sky began to sing.

"You can take my pa but his names a mystery." Sebastian Fern joined in.

"Nothing you can take from me, was ever worth keeping. Nothing you can take was ever worth keeping." Nessa continued. She knew this would send a clear message, to anyone smart enough to listen, "Can't take my charm, can't take my humour. You can take my wealth but it's just a rumour." They cut the cameras, but she knew he was still watching.

"Nothing you can take, was ever worth keeping. You can't take my self; you can't take my talking." A smirk grew on her face once again, as she looked directly into the only camera still recording and yelled. Just like her grandmother did.

"YOU CAN KISS MY ASS."

This statement caused an uproar in the district gasps of shock echoed through the air though it soon became silent. Starting with The Covey, they put their hands in the air in a three fingered salute and soon everyone else joined in. Peacekeepers pushed onto the stage and grabbed Nessa forcing her off the stage and into her separate room, where she could say goodbye, but not before she saluted back to her crowd. To her district.

 To her district

AUTHORS NOTE

Hey Guys!

I just wanted to say thank you so much to all who are reading this book, i hope you enjoy it! Also please let me know if the singing bits are ok, i really don't want it to seem really cringy or weird iykwim, it's just a part of the story. Also please don't hesitate to comment! I love reading them. Anyways hope you enjoy! Also please lmk if you want a love interest? I don't currently have one in mind so y'all lmk, also it might not be for this book maybe catching fire? Idk