Prologue

The old oak tree stood sentinel at the edge of the woods, its gnarled branches beckoning the three young boys as their laughter echoed through the forest. Eight-years-old and bursting with energy, Holt, Remy, and Nico spent long summer days exploring the nearby wilderness - climbing rocks, racing homemade swords in hand, pretending to battle mythical beasts.

When the setting sun signaled time to return home, they always ended up beneath the oak's shady boughs. One such day, Nico carved their initials into the bark, cementing their friendship.

"Now this tree will remember us forever!" Nico proclaimed.

"It can be our secret headquarters," Holt added with an enthusiastic punch to the air. "The Three Musketeers' meeting spot!"

Remy smiled as he traced the letters - R, H, N - feeling as though they had become brothers.

In the years that followed, through the many phases of boyhood into adolescence, the oak stood resolute, offering refuge and comfort in times of hardship, joy at successes, an open ear for dreams and confessions.

Until one poignant sunset as high school neared its end, when the tree overheard a pact made between three young men on the cusp of venturing out onto roads unknown, promising to meet again someday under its steadfast boughs.

Their crossroads forked, but the oak tree remained, standing sentinel over the bonds forged long ago beneath its protective canopy. Patiently holding the memories made here and awaiting the day promised - for three friends turned brothers to someday come back home.