Chapter Two: When the Sun is Hot Enough

After the new tributes are escorted into the Justice Building, the rest of the children and their parents are instructed to disperse by the Peacekeepers. The mentors stay waiting, and Connory motions to get my attention.

"Hey, Finnick, you're going to be just fine," he says. He puts a caring hand on my shoulder. "Those kids will be in the best of hands."

"Sebastian. I know him. He's in my class, at school," I explain.

"Same age?"

I nod. "We don't really talk, but he's always been a familiar face. And the girl..."

I cut myself off, visualizing her face in my head. Her youthfulness staring out at the crowd. The fear in her eyes when she shook Sebastian's hand.

"Do you think she's a Reapling?" I ask. Reaplings are what we in Four call the youngest children eligible for the Reaping. 12-year-olds.

Connory nods. "I believe so. I vaguely know her family. She's their youngest; I think she turned 12 a few months ago."

My heart feels heavy. "She won't survive in there, Connory. There's no chance."

"Finnick, before you won the Games at 14, there was never a younger victor. People thought it couldn't be done. And you proved them wrong."

"That's different. I trained like hell for years. And even then, I might not even be here if it wasn't for Peony. That Reapling, Brynne? I'd be surprised if she even knows how to hold a knife. How, Connory? How can I help her?"

"By doing what you do best. Using all of your knowledge to give her and Sebastian the best chance possible. You're friendly, and you're close to them in age. They'll learn well from you."

"A mentor can only do so much," I say. "I can't turn these kids into Careers. So how much can I really do?"

"All that you can," Connory says. Beside him, Beylon nods in agreement. "That's all you can do; that's all any mentor can do. It's a taxing job, Finnick. It's hard, painful, and it never gets easier. But you'll make a difference for those kids. I promise you that."

I know that he's right. "I want them to have a chance," I say. "Even the girl."

"My advice: don't infantilize her. Don't view her as 'the Reapling'. Train her like she's anyone else," Connory says. "Forget her age. Make her forget, too."

"You've trained Reaplings before, haven't you?"

Connory nods. "All four of us have. 13-year-olds, too. The only thing those kids see is how small they are. So, our job is to make them unsee it."

"How?"

"By playing to their strengths through their personalities. Just as Mags and Arias did for you."

Connory and Arias are actually good friends. Connory won his Games during Arias's second year as a stylist, and the two have been acquainted ever since. Connory admires him--even more so after my victory.

"Make them feel stronger through who they are naturally," I paraphrase. Connory nods.

"Exactly. And you said you know Sebastian. Use that to your advantage," he says. "My ultimate advice: become their friend, not just their teacher. Trust is everything. People learn better from those they trust."

I think about how quick I was to like Mags, within moments of meeting her. I trusted her almost immediately, and I took her advice to heart. I need to embody that.

"You're right," I say. "I want them to trust me. I want to help them."

"Of course you do. And you will. I think you'll know exactly what to do when you meet them."