Viridian Eyes

Viridian Eyes held pain and defiance the first time she saw them.

~

His smirk is what catches Emmaline's eye first, honestly, then the glow if his viridian eyes drew her like a moth to a flame.

A handsome young man, pale with striking features, leans against the opposite wall of the Slytherin common room. Emmaline finds herself wandering away from the mischievous lad she had just met, Sebastian, and over to where a few students were looking out into the lake. Her eyes trace over him. They must be the same age. His stance speaks cool.

Interesting people have always stood out to her.

"I-" gasps one girl, "I think I heard one."

The handsome boy leans towards Emma, "Doubt mermaids find us that interesting."

His smile does not reflect the same arrogance as his posture.

"Ah, based on all the chatter when you entered the common room, I'm guessing you're the new fifth year. I'm Ominis. Ominis Gaunt."

Wonderful name, Emmaline wants to say, but she fights down the urge to be too forward.

"Emmaline Blackrose. Pleasure to meet you, Ominis," she ventures curiously, automatically bouncing on her toes.

"Well, you certainly had a memorable arrival," he jests.

"I suppose you could call it that. Besides, if I'm going to make my mark here, might as well start straight away."

Ominis chuckles, "You're definitely in the right house."

"I hope so," Emma responds, "I'd like to think I'm ambitious, and if a magic hat says so I don't know what else could prove it."

Ominis hums in thought, "Achieving your ambition I suppose. Which would be?"

Finding out why I'm here and what I am.

"Well I'd like to catch up for a start," she chuckles nervously. "But I suppose, I love a mystery. I'm... curious about the mysteries of the magic world." Emmaline thinks back to her family immediately, before cringing at her words, "That sounds embarrassing."

"Not at all," Ominis smirks.

Emma tries to change the subject, "Were you expecting to be sorted into Slytherin?"

"Most certainly," he responds proudly, "My family on my father's side are direct descendants of Salazar Slytherin - one of the Founders of Hogwarts." Emma's interest in him grows the more he talks. Having been deprived of the magic world, she hungers for all parts of it, including the history. "Not something I'm proud of, mind you. He was obsessed with blood status. A pure-blood maniac."

Her stomach turns, thinking of her awful muggle father.

"Unfortunately, most of his descendants do not fall far from that tree."

Emma smiles solemnly, "Believe me, I know what it's like to have... distasteful relatives."

Ominis' face darkens a little, if for a second. Emma claws for a way out of the sudden shadow over the conversation.

"Did that student say she thought she heard a mermaid?"

He brightens, welcoming the shift in topic, "Yes. But I've never heard of a mermaid showing up outside our common room window. It would be quite the event. It is fun to play along though. Been known to keep some first-years on the lookout for hours."

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider staking it out for a while; as soon as I heard the word mermaid."

Emma earns herself another one of his light chuckles.

"Do let me know if I can be of any help as you navigate your first days here. Though I doubt you'll need it."

A part of her wants to stay and talk to him, but she's already made it this far with success, and Professor Weasley is waiting to give her a proper introduction to the school.

"Thank you, Ominis. Very nice to meet you," she sings sweetly.

"Pleasure was all mine," he responds, "Don't be a stranger."

Emmaline's heart gives a noticeable thump.

"Oh don't worry," she smiles, turning to the common room door, "I won't be."