Chapter 29: Let Me Explain

GASP. WHAT IS DIS? ANOTHER UPDATE A FEW DAYS AFTER THE LAST ONE?

Haha, love you guys. <3

Enjoy!

--

"Hey there," Ken says with a wry smile.

I pushed away the surprise and tightened my grip around his neck again. "What the hell do you think you're doing here?" I demanded, forcing my face to go blank so he doesn't see any expression.

I was shocked, angry, surprised at him. But, grudgingly admitting, even a bit relieved to know he was alive. Mostly, however, I was feeling a strong emotion of anger and hatred for Ken, mainly because he betrayed me and everyone else who trusted him. He didn't seem scared of me right now, which pissed me off even more. The lying traitor had the nerve to even enter Dragon's Cove (he must still have my parent's permission, without their permission, if that makes sense. It seems they've forgotten to drop the allowance of his entry) and decide to drop a visit to his good ol' buddies.

I was gonna kill him. 

"F-Faye, if you let me ex-"

"No!" I snapped, my hand tightening. "If you're here to switch sides, then you can forget it. Bastard."

"I'm not here to switch sides, don't worry," he managed to growl out. His face was turning red, possibly from the amount of air supply I was cutting off from him. By this point, however, I could care less if he died right here in my hands. 

Which made me come to my senses. I was many things, a stubborn, hardheaded, trouble-making, non-thinking, teenager. But I was not a killer, not like Ken. I loosened my grip slightly so he could breath, but not enough that he could easily escape. I still had him pinned to the kitchen counter and kept my furious gaze locked on him.

"If you're not here to try to reason with me, tell me why you're here." I shoved him slightly harder into the counter, my gaze focused. That was, until, I saw headlights from the window above, and felt a rush of relief. My parents and Jackson were home, meaning I wouldn't be as shaky or nervous as I am now. I masked it with my anger, allowing the feeling to push down my fear so that I show no weakness in front of Ken.

"Look, Faye," Ken spat, still breathing slightly heavy from catching his breath, "I know you hate me for all that I did, and trust me, the feeling's mutual. I hate you. But my desire is not to kill you, despite the hatred I feel. That's why I have come here to warn you."

I heard the doors of the cars slam shut, and I glanced behind me. Shit, Ken might not say anything to me if my parents and Jackson suddenly walk in. Screw it. "What?" I urged, my eyes back on him.

Ken locked eyes with me and said, "Stars aligned is when we'll strike."

I furrowed my eyebrows and glared at him. "I don't have time for your goddamn poetry, tell me!"

"I did, you just have to learn the meaning. You're running out of time, Faye," he told me, his eyes telling the truth. I knew that look, and that look meant he wasn't lying to me. Why was he helping me, if he does not want to come back to our side?

The door opened, "Faye?" I held my breath for a long moment, freezing up as I looked towards the kitchen archway.

"Let me go, Faye," Ken said softly, his eyes meeting mine once more. "Don't let them catch me."

I hesitated, but knew I had to make this decision. Ken told me nothing that would help me, he came into Dragon's Cove after being a traitor who sold me out, and then asked me to let him go. The soft part of me almost did let him go, but the thinking side of me scowled and said, "Guys! Help!"

I didn't look at Ken's face as I called for my parents and Jackson. Though I suspected he had a feeling this would happen, he slumped weakly under my grip as if giving up..as if I crushed him into nothing but broken shards. 

Well tough luck, I thought. You're not supposed to be here in the first place. And I can't risk you leaving, knowing you can just enter this place. I have more than just my life to protect now. I have someone else as well, growing inside of me, it's life in my hands. Not to mention my family. No, I can't let this be a mistake I made.

I heard footsteps behind me, and a sharp intake of breath from more than just one person. "Ken?" my mom said softly, as I pushed off the counter and shoved Ken towards them. My hand released his throat, dropping to my side instead as I pursed my lips and explained to them the light I saw of a figure and me attacking him.

Dad was furious, grabbing Ken by his arm and leaving with him. I didn't know exactly where they were headed but I had a feeling it was some kind of containment.

Jackson wasn't any better, he was at my side with his hands clasped around my arms gently. "Are you okay? Did that bastard hurt you?" he asked me gently, moving hair away from my face.

"No," I replied, leaning against him and taking a moment to calm my racing and pounding heartbeat. "It was the other way around, actually. Barely touched me, seeing as I kicked his ass." I smiled a bit, trying to lighten the mood of the room.

Jackson smiled back and rested his head against mine. "That's my girl."

We just stood there, taking a moment to ourselves, while out of the corner of my eye I saw my mother crouching down by the gun Ken had brought and picking it up. She studied it and frowned, unloading it and pouring the bullets into her hands. I pulled away from Jackson, seeing her bugged out expression and knowing something was up.

"What is it?" I asked her, crouching down a few inches from her and peering at the bullets. I glanced back at Jackson who was gazing outside with a frown. I looked back to the bullets in my mother's hand, not seeing why she looked so confused. They looked like normal bullets.

"They've been coated in thick wolfsbane," mom murmured, picking one up with her other hand and twisting it between her fingers. Her eyes focused on the object intently, thumb brushing over the smooth end of it.

"How can you tell?" I asked, blinking at them. I reached out to pick one up and held it like my mom was. It didn't look or feel any different then any other bullet, which was why I felt so confused as to why my mother seemed to sense a difference.

"Because of the smell. Wolfsbane has a pretty repellent smell and is extremely dangerous to not only us, but to humans. The doses they gave you when you were held hostage were only an amount to keep you drugged up so you couldn't contact us and to keep you weak. The amount on this bullet is enough to poison the heart if it reached it."

I bit my lip and nodded my head, hugging my stomach and releasing a sigh. "I-I'm going to go upstairs for a while, okay?"

Mom looked up at me, a concerned look on her face. "Are you alright? Do you need anything?"

"Just some rest."

Without waiting for a reply or to see if Jackson followed, I made my way upstairs to sleep all this crap off.