Chapter 15. Deadly traps

The cave entrance lay in shadows, a somber reminder of the events that had unfolded within. Armed with torches, Zephyr, Nimra, and the two surviving soldiers ventured into the darkness to recover the bodies of the fallen. The grim task served as a poignant reminder of life's fragility and the relentless nature of their mission. Each fallen figure was lifted with respect, a silent shadow of what they once were.

Back outside, daylight illuminated the clearing where the cave entrance rested. Zephyr and Nimra, accompanied by the two soldiers, organized an impromptu tribute to honor the fallen. Words of respect and gratitude resonated in the air as each shared memories and anecdotes. Nimra closed the eyes of the deceased with delicacy, a final gesture of respect before proceeding to the next step.

A funeral pyre was carefully constructed, and the bodies of the fallen were reverently placed upon it. The wood ignited easily, flames crackling in the forest's stillness. Zephyr, with a firm and solemn voice, led a ritual that would accompany their comrades on their journey to eternity. The group watched in silence as the flames danced, carrying away the shadows of those who had fallen in the line of duty.

After bidding farewell to the fallen, the group gathered in a circle, feeling the weight of loss and the determination to move forward. The two surviving soldiers, their gazes fixed on the rising flames, remembered their fallen comrades.

Nimra, with a mix of gratitude and sorrow in her eyes, addressed Zephyr and the two soldiers. "There are no words that can express my gratitude. You risked your lives to save me from the jaws of that creature. I promise we won't forget the sacrifice of your comrades."

Zephyr, staring into the dancing flames, nodded solemnly. "They did their duty with courage. Now, we must fulfill ours and reach Grinder. We cannot allow these sacrifices to be in vain."

After a night of rest, the group prepared to continue their journey to Grinder. The trek became increasingly challenging, but the determination in the eyes of Zephyr and Nimra remained unwavering. The two soldiers, despite their injuries and the loss of their comrades, joined the front of the march, ready to press forward.

During the journey, Zephyr and Nimra walked together, though the weight of silence between them was evident. Finally, Zephyr broke the surrounding stillness. "Nimra, we need to talk about the spy. I can't ignore the gravity of the situation. As you know, I have the ability to detect if someone is following us. I like to analyze the environment and spot anomalies, so I would appreciate it if you didn't doubt me when I'm convinced that danger is lurking."

Nimra, looking ahead with a pensive expression, responded: "Zephyr, I understand your concern, but the decision I made was to avoid worrying my soldiers and slowing our journey to Grinder. I cannot allow anything to stand in that path."

Zephyr furrowed his brow, feeling the tension between them rise. "Nimra, I know you want to protect our people, but you also have to trust those who are here to help you. If you doubt my perception, you'll only put us in danger."

Nimra sighed, acknowledging the validity of Zephyr's words. "I understand your point, Zephyr. I will make an effort to trust you and others more." Zephyr, relieved by Nimra's words, changed his demeanor and continued the journey with a smile on his lips.

As the sun set, the group reached a clearing in the forest. They decided to rest before facing the challenges that awaited them in Grinder. While they prepared for the night, Zephyr kept a cautious watch on their surroundings.

The moon illuminated the clearing where Zephyr, Nimra, and the two soldiers, Gastón and Linker, prepared for the nocturnal strategy. Zephyr, who had been devising a plan in his mind, gathered the group around the campfire. The flickering light accentuated the seriousness in his eyes as he traced invisible lines in the air with his words.