❝𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘪𝘵𝘶𝘥𝘦❞

I got up that morning with the full intention of going to school. I put on black straight-leg jeans and a cropped long-sleeved green shirt. Jughead must've left during the night because he wasn't in my trailer.

I pull into my parking spot that's covered in snow and ice. I walk into the school and see my group waiting by my locker. I walk up to them and smile at them. Fangs returns it, but Sweet Pea and Toni look at me with sympathy. I check my makeup in the mirror and shut the locker.

"What's up?" I ask. "Are you okay?" Toni has her signature puppy eyes that she knows I can't resist. "I'm fine. Tired, but fine." I answer as we walk to class. "Are you-" "No, Toni, I'm not in denial. I'm picking up an urn for Dad tomorrow and I'm going by the hospital after school to see Mom." I explain and she seems content with my answer.

The bell rings and Fangs and Toni wave us goodbye. Sweet Pea grabs my wrist and makes me look at him. "I promise, I'm okay." I look into his eyes. "I'll always be here for you," He tells me. "I know." I rub his shoulder.

"C'mon." I make grabby hands for him to hold mine. He interlocks them and we go to our first period.

~

Lunch rolls around and I make my way to the cafeteria. I sit down next to Pea and rub his back up and down. He smiles and points to a new person at the table.

"Jughead? Aren't you at Northside?" I ask him and he nods. "This is where I belong, Daisy." I smile at him and we start making jokes. Jughead fits right in with us.

Until, Betty Cooper, Archie Andrews, and a girl with raven hair walk in.

"Jug..." Betty says. He turns around. "What are you guys doing here?" He asks. They have a small conversation but end up outside. That was a weird interaction.

School ends soon enough and Pea offers to go to the hospital with me. We make it there and walk into my mother's room. She's awake.

"Hey, mama." I sit next to her bed. "Daisy," She smiles. "Sweet Pea, right?" She points to him. I nod and caress her beaten face. "The doctor said my surgery went well." I nod and smile, gratefully. "That's great, mom." She smiles.

"Where's your father?" She asks.

The doctors haven't told her yet. "Um...He's asleep in the other room. He's okay." I think of a quick explanation. She sighs in relief and starts to tell me how the crash happened.

We talk for the next hour until the sun starts setting.

"Do you want me to stay?" I ask her. She shakes her head. "No, no. You don't have to."

"Okay." I pat her hand. "We'll be back tomorrow, mama." I get up from the chair and head to the door that Pea holds open for me.

"Bye, I love you mom." I smile. "I love you too, Daisy Kate."

We leave the hospital on Sweet Pea's motorcycle and drive to the Trailer Park. Jughead was home in his and FP's trailer. Sweets pulls into my driveway and parks. We hurry inside because of the biting cold. I lock the door behind Sweets and take off my Serpent jacket. He does the same.

"So, what do you want to eat?" I ask him while I open the fridge. "What do you have?" He smirks at me. "Well, I have leftover pizza but-" I was cut off by his hands trailing around my waist. "Can I have you?" He whispers in my ear.

I gasp at the comment and wrap my arms around his as he engulfs me in a tight hug. "I mean, if you think you can handle it." I tease him as he starts to kiss my neck. "Oh, baby. I love this attitude. Too bad I have to be the one to take it away." He says against my neck. "Mhm." I moan and take one hand and run it through his hair.

We make our way to my bed and he takes off my shirt. "You are gorgeous."

originally published 12/22/23