Part Four

Author's note:
*Pokes head round the corner*
Well...hi 👋🏻
It's been over 2 years since I last updated this, so...hi!
I am SO sorry. Genuinely, life has been a rollercoaster lately and I just can't express enough how sorry I am for leaving you all. I will explain more in another post, but for now...here's part 4 of Started From The Top! Enjoy!
Also, I do not know all the medical malarkey, so if there's any mistakes or anything you've noticed, please feel free to comment or message me!
Love you all, and thank you for still being here 💙💙

//

Time dragged, an hour passed, then two, then three. Ali showed up at hour two, having had to find last minute childcare for Isla, before waiting for a taxi to take her, which is always difficult and long winded in London. When she arrived, she was flustered and panicked, her eyes red and watery. Anne-Marie brought her into a hug, Ant stared at her guiltily, before Ali gave him a tight hug, and the two silently shed tears together.

"They've not told us anything yet. The doctor said he'd be round when there's news." Anne-Marie announced quietly, rubbing Ali's back gently as the distraught woman cried silent sobs. Ant refused to let go of his friend, the two having known each other nearly as long as he and Dec. They'd shared so many memories together, laughed so much together, and cried many tears together.

This time was different, though. This time around, there was no Dec to throw in a random joke through his own tears, making them all laugh wetly. This time around, there was no Dec's arms surrounding them both as he whispered reassurances to them. Dec had always been there, but now he wasn't, and Ant hated it.

"He couldn't feel his legs..." Ant whispered in fear, "He was just laying there, not moving, barely breathing...god, why did this have to happen?!"

Ali startled slightly before reversing the roles, now being the one providing comfort. "You know what our Doolittle is like. He'd find a way to injure himself just by being asleep," They all chuckled quietly at that, "He'll be okay, Anth. You'll see. He'll be back up on his feet in no time...we just have to pray with everything in us."

//

Praying didn't seem to work.

After nearly 6 hours, the doctor finally stepped into the waiting room, his face filled with concern and worry. The three other occupants in the room immediately stood to attention and waited with bated breath.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Hubert, and I am so sorry it's taken me so long to get around to you. We've just settled Mr Donnelly into a private room." He began, taking a deep breath before continuing. "We took X-Ray's and an MRI of Mr Donnelly's neck and spine, and the results aren't pleasant, I'm afraid." Ali began crying again, huddled into Ant's side. "He's broken a vertebrae in his spine, what we call the C5. Right now, he's lost complete feeling in his lower body...however, we will be looking at physiotherapy once he's more alert over the coming weeks. We'll know more in regards to if it's permanent or temporary once we start doing some exercises in a couple weeks time."

Doctor Hubert let this information set in for a moment before continuing. "We will be keeping him in the ICU until we feel confident he's going in the right direction. We currently have him on oxygen as his breathing is weakened due to the injury. I can allow you guys in to see him, but only for a few minutes. We have rooms down the hall for anybody who wishes to stay overnight, otherwise, visiting hours are 9am to 10.30am, 1pm to 2.30pm and again at 6pm to 7.45pm. Any questions?"

The doctor watched carefully as they took in everything he's told them. He knew, having experienced it many times, that most of the time, the questions wouldn't come until a few days in, and he'd be patient and answer anything he could. At this moment, he knew that they'd just want to go in and see their loved one, and ask questions later. That was how it always was.

"Come, I'll show you to Mr Donnelly's room." He said, beginning to guide them to where Dec was. "There's no rush in asking anything. I'll be taking charge of his care, so any time you have a question, just ask me. I know this is a shock to you and my team and I are here to help not only Mr Donnelly, but we're here to support you too."

They continued in silence until they stopped outside a room. Doctor Hubert turned to the group with a small smile. "I'll be just at that desk over there," He pointed to the desk just a few steps down, "So, just press the button or call for me if you need anything. Mr Donnelly may not be too aware of you or anything around him for the time being, that is normal as we have him slightly sedated. We want him to start coming round properly within the next 48 hours, so we can start getting more of an idea of the severity of his injuries. Whenever you're ready, just head on in."

Anne-Marie, being the one who's much calmer and composed than her husband and friend, managed to thank the doctor and was the one who placed her hand on the door, ready to open it. Once the doctor walked away with another small smile, she turned to the other two and watched them both take a shaky breath. Knowing she'd just have to rip the plaster off, so to say, she took a breath herself before pushing open the door.

//

Author's note:
So, we'll get to see our dear Declan again next chapter! I should have it up before Christmas, as I'll be working on the next chapter from tomorrow! Honestly, genuinely, I appreciate you guys SO much! Some of you have been here for years, and I can never express my love for you enough! Thank you, to friends old and new, here's to us!

P.s. who's your fave to win IAC?! I definitely want either Danielle, Josie or Marvin to win, I reckon! Tony is definitely in my top 4, too!