Chapter 6

Rudransh was happy to see his mother Vasishtha, who had been away from the palace for several months.

As she hugged her son, she whispered, "I'm so glad to see you again." 

Just then, Rudransh's father arrived with Navami and Kalyani, his concubines. Rudransh greeted them with a curt nod, not showing any enthusiasm. His father got straight to the point, sharing that he wanted him to marry Raivati. Rudransh didn't want to marry someone he didn't love, but he didn't want to argue with his father either. He simply agreed, hoping to end the conversation quickly.

Navami and Kalyani then left, saying they were tired. Vasishtha also excused herself, leaving Rudransh alone with his father. His father began to talk about the concubines and his future fiancé, telling Rudransh to keep a close eye on them and not let them cheat on him.

Rudransh was not interested in this conversation but nodded anyway, not wanting to prolong the discussion. He assured his father that he knew what he had to do as a king and ordered one of his guards to take care of everyone's needs.

In the evening, during dinner, Rudransh was introduced to Navami and Kalyani's children, Bagwati and Litvik. Jagruti, his half-sister, was also present, accompanied by her mother, the king's concubine. The tension in the air was palpable, and it was clear that the concubines and their children hated each other and the king's wife.

As they sat at the dinner table, Rudransh tried to strike up a conversation with Jagruti, hoping to get to know his half-sister better. "So, how have you been, Jagruti?" he asked, attempting to break the ice.

Jagruti gave him a cool glance, "I have been well, thanks for asking."

Bagwati, who was sitting next to Jagruti, interjected, "Rudransh, do you know that just because your mothers queen it doesn't mean your better then anyone?"

Rudransh felt a pang of anger but controlled his emotions. "I don't believe in comparing one's mother with another, Bagwati. Each one is unique and special in her way," he replied calmly.

Litvik, who had been quiet until now, spoke up, "But Rudransh, your mother is just a queen. Our mother is the king's concubine, and she is still much more respected in the palace."

Rudransh felt like he was being bullied by the children of the concubines. "Please, let's not talk about which mother is better or worse. Everyone deserves respect and honour," he said, trying to diffuse the situation.

But the conversation soon turned back to comparing mothers and their status, and Rudransh felt like he was trapped in a circle of hatred and jealousy. He couldn't wait for dinner to end and for everyone to go to their rooms.

As they were about to leave, Kalyani's younger child, Bagwati, approached Rudransh with a sneer on her face. "Rudransh, I hope your fiancé is better than you. You wouldn't want your father to throw her out like he almost did to your mother," she taunted.

Rudransh felt like his world crushed. He knew that his mother Vasishtha had been banished due to his father's selfishness. It was not her fault, but he had made her the scapegoat of a political plot. And now, for his father's ambitions, Rudransh was to marry someone he had no interest in.

Trying to keep calm, Rudransh told Bagwati, "Please, keep your opinions to yourself. Your mother may be a concubine, but your manners should not be that of one."

Jagruti was the first to reply, "You think you're so high and mighty, Rudransh, just because you're the son of the queen. But don't forget, you are still a bastard in the eyes of the kingdom."

Litvik and Bagwati nodded in agreement.

Rudransh felt his temper rising, but he kept his voice calm.

Kalyani, who had been watching the exchange silently, now stepped in. "Let's not argue over who is more worthy or less worthy," she said. "We all come from the same place, and we should all be treated with the same respect."