✽ 96

~Ophelia

Aiden flipped through the document for a while, a scowl growing on his face. Then he shut it and met my eyes.

“What sort of crap is this?”

I blinked, deepening my sad expression.

“Crap? This isn't crap Aiden. It's the truth...”

He pushed the document to me and stepped back to the front door to open it.

“Get out. The boys will be here any second...”

Oh no, they won't.

I had Dion work a bit on their car to make sure I had enough time to get him to believe the truth I wanted him to know.

“... marry her and so you need to leave.”

My attention went back to him.

“Aiden—”

“Goddammit Ophelia. Get out.”

His tone indicated 'I'm trying to not get mad'. But this was the only opportunity I was going to get to manipulate this man and get everything I wanted... if not more... and there was no way I was going to let it slip away from me.

I let out a sigh, forcing tears into my eyes.

“Aiden...”

“Don't do that please” he stopped me. “It's my wedding day. I can't walk into that church knowing I've been inconsiderate. Not today.”

Oh, you're not going to be walking anywhere by the time I'm done with you.

“I know” I sniffed, “And I promise you I'm not trying to cause any problems for you. I just need you to listen to me. Please. I know I've been unfair to you, Aiden. And I regret every second of it. But that is also the reason why I can't let them deceive you anymore. You've taken too much and I... I won't let this go any further.”

He sighed and reluctantly closed the front door.

“What exactly is this whole thing about?”

“Your child is alive, Aiden.”

“Ophelia—”

“No, Aiden, let me talk” I stopped him.

He sighed and nodded for me to go ahead.

“I know you said you had it under control. And I know you asked me not to get involved. But I couldn't just sit there. And maybe it's because a part of me was trying to make amends with my little girl...”

His shoulders tensed a little.

“And so I had my contacts follow up on the surrogate. Robert Davies was the one who told me about the arrangements. And they found her...” I pulled a tablet from my handbag, “... with her sister and father.”

Aiden's expression that read 'nothing new' immediately changed.

“What?”

I nodded.

“I thought she said she didn't know where they were.”

“She lied to you Aiden. Along with everything she probably told you that day.”

Aiden's eyes widened and I lowered my head.

“Maybe I should go Aiden—”

“What no!” he stopped me.

Ha.

“You have to tell me, Ophelia. What happened?”

Oh, I will.