Birthday

"Virat Bhai. All okay?" Rahul asked when Virat came to stand beside him on the field. India was playing their last ODI match against Australia before the world cup.

"Yes. It's just that the Pakistan team would have reached Hyderabad by now. And it's Shadab's first time here. I hope they received a warm welcome" Virat sounded worried.

"Don't worry Bhai. They're our guests. Nobody treats their guests better than us Indians." Rahul said and patted Virat's shoulder.

"I know. He was just so nervous about everything. When I talked to him before the match. They reached Dubai for the interchange." Virat said and took the position as the bowl was coming towards his direction. Umpire signaled a drinks break and Rahul walked towards Virat.

"I understand Bhai. Why don't we book the flight to Hyderabad for tomorrow and can go meet him. He will be happy to see you and you of course will be less worried. What do you say?" Rahul suggested.

"That's actually a good idea. We can come back the next day.It's also his birthday tomorrow. He will be so happy" Virat said.

"Where are we going?" Shubman said, coming towards them with a water bottle in his hands.

"Nowhere Baccha." Virat said and ruffled Shubman's hair. He swatted Virat's hand with a pout on his face.

"Please tell me naa." Shubman whined, by now Ishan also joined them with bottles and bananas for energy boost.

"Shubi." Virat said in a stern voice.

"Virat Bhai." Shubi pouted.

"Jeez. You're so stubborn. We are going to Hyderabad to surprise Shaddy on his birthday." Virat said, one hand massaging his forehead.

"Oh. I'm coming too." Shubman said casually, sneaking a glance towards Virat.

"Absolutely not."

"Virat Bhai." Shubman whined again.

"Fine. Fine. Book four tickets Rahul." Virat said and started walking towards his position.

"Ok. But why four?" Rahul asked confusedly.

"This kid will not come without his best friend and will start his whining again." Virat said and walked away.

"Yes Rahul Bhai. Book four tickets." Shubman said and ran away from there.

"It's weird how similar they both are, being totally unrelated." Rahul shaked his hand and got in the position.

India won the match and the series. As soon as they reached the hotel. Rahul booked four tickets for the earliest flight to Hyderabad which was at 9am.

"Tickets are booked. We will leave at 7am." Rahul announced entering the room he shares with Virat. He had already informed the duo on his way to the room. He saw Virat talking on the phone who glared at him as to say "Shut up"

"Where are you going?" Shadab asked from the other line.

"To meet our families before we have to fly to Chennai for the match." Virat tried to cover up while still glaring at Rahul's direction.

"Oh ok." Shadab sounded sad. He was missing his family and due to some diplomatic issues they were not able to bring their families along with them.

"So what's the plan for the birthday?" Virat said, trying to distract Shadab from the topic.

"Nothing much. We have our first practice session and then dinner at a restaurant. I just wanted to." Shadab stopped mid-sentence as if not able to complete the sentence.

"What do you want, Shaddy?" Virat whispered. He looked towards Rahul's bed and saw him scrolling through his phone with his headphones.

"I wanted to meet you."

"We will meet on the 14th. I will come to you before the match starts." Virat smiled imagining Shadab's reaction when they will meet tomorrow.

"I know. Just wanted you to be here when I cut the cake." Shadab whispered sadly.

"Ask Shaheen to video call me, so I can be there with you."

"Alright. I guess we should sleep now. Goodnight." Shadab said and hung up the phone before Virat could say something.

Virat got up from the bed, plugged his phone in the charger and lay down with a tense expression. Rahul being the curious person asked "Why the sour look?"

"He is angry." Virat mumbled.

"What?"

"He is angry at me." Virat looked at Rahul with worry filled in his eyes.

"Ahh. Don't worry he will be the happiest when he sees you there tomorrow. Now sleep." Rahul said and turned his back towards Virat.

"Yeah. Goodnight." Virat said and went to sleep.

Next Day, 12:30 pm.

"How are you all?" Shaheen asked as he met them all in the hotel lobby.

"We are fine. What about you?" Virat said while shaking Shaheen's hand.

"All good."

"How are you liking India Shaheen?" Rahul asked with curiosity on his face.

"It's beautiful. Didn't expected the warm welcome to be honest." Shaheen said with a small laugh.

"I hope you have a great time here. Now what's the plan?" Virat asked,sounding impatient. Shadab has been ignoring his texts since morning. Didn't even reply to his birthday greeting. He wanted to surprise Shadab with a cake, so they bought one on the way to the hotel.

"He's in his room right now with everyone. I'll text Hasan to get everyone out of the room and then you can enter the room while singing "Happy Birthday." Shaheen said without stopping.

"Fantastic." Virat said and started following Shaheen towards the rooms.

"Where are you all going together?" Shadab asked as everyone suddenly started leaving his room.

"It's your birthday and we have to celebrate. I asked the boys to get ready so we can go out." Hasan tried to be convincing but Shadab knew something was wrong.

"Oh Ok."

"So, you also get ready. We will meet you at 3pm." Hasan said and walked out of the room. He nodded towards Virat who was standing in the hallway.

"Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you." Shadab turned towards the door hearing the familiar voice singing the birthday jingle. He was shocked to see Virat standing there with cake in his hand and smiling at him.

Seeing Shadab so shocked, Virat walked towards him. He placed the cake on the table and pulled Shadab in a hug. As soon as Virat arms wrapped around, Shadab bursted into tears. Virat pulled away from the hug worriedly.

"Why are you crying? I thought you wanted me to be here."

"Happy Tears Vi. I'm so happy." Shadab said and pulled Virat in a hug once again.

Virat tightened his arms around Shadab and whispered in his ear.

"Happy Birthday Shadab."

Requests are open. If you want to request any one shot including Virat x Shadab, please let me know in the comments section and I'll try to write it. Hope you all like it. Enjoy!!