Chapter 34: Orcish Accommodations

As the orcs led Jace, Esther, and Snowy back up to the main trail and around the mountain to the west, Jace paid particular attention to the surroundings, treating this trek more like a property tour. The path they now walked was wide and skirted the principal peak in which he assumed the mine was. More prominent mountains rose in the west, and the sun peeked between them, providing the last minutes of daylight.

Few trees grew in the stony ground at this elevation, but just several dozen feet below, a lush collection of pines gave the mountain a dense green skirt. Animals were scarce, but Jace bet the noisy orcs scared them away, and the trees were usually filled with life. It was only a few minutes of travel before they rounded an outcropping and saw the entrance to the cave.

It didn't look like any mine Jace had seen before and was far more elaborate than the other two caverns he had invaded. He remembered this had been a gnome fortress at one time, and the industrious stoneworkers and seen fit to make the entry welcoming to visitors. The few weeks of orc occupation hadn't significantly affected the appearance yet.

The entrance looked like it belonged to a castle with a drawbridge flanked by massive stone pillars on either side. Half a dozen burning braziers hung from chains to light the bridge, which was lowered for now. It spanned a narrow waterway fed by a miniature waterfall cascading down 50 feet to the left of the entrance. It then ran off to the north, likely spilling into a stream that eventually reached the main waterfall above Crestfall. Steps of polished limestone led up from the bridge to the entrance, with guards stationed on either side. High-relief sculptures of woodland creatures were carved into the stone around and above the arched entry, and two tall wooden doors stood open.

To the gnomes, this entrance must have felt intimidating in its scope and size, but to an orc or human, it felt appropriately scaled and welcoming. The guards stiffened when they saw the approaching orcs. They couldn't figure out if they should relax when they saw the familiar archer and shaman or bar the entrance against Jace and his wicked halberd. And they had no idea how to react to Snowy or Esther. There were no wolves in these mountains, and while they expected a few human invaders from time to time, none of them looked like Esther.

"I have come to meet with your leader, Carrak-Deng," Jace said, showing respect by staying on the far side of the bridge after the archer and shaman had already crossed. "I have aided your orcs in capturing a human scout and wish to meet with your leader to discuss a possible alliance."

The guards thought about what to do, but, per the module's script, Carrak had been expecting them to arrive, and they didn't have to wait long before an impressive orc stepped through the open doors. Jace stood several feet below the entrance to the cavern, but even if he had climbed the steps before him, he would have to look up at this monster. Even though he was a mage, having ability scores of 24 in Strength and Constitution had transformed Carrak into a massive creature.

"Where is Orgalph?" Carrak asked the two remaining orcs from the scouting party.

The archer orc fell to his knees before his master. "The human killed him," the orc reported.

"Which human?" the leader demanded.

"The woman in black."

Carrak scoffed as he looked at Esther briefly and then kept searching for someone else. "I see only a little girl. Where is this female warrior that bested my lieutenant?"

"Hey," Esther started, but Jace held her tight.

"Now's not the time," he whispered. "You can kill him later. Right now, we need to get in."

"The woman is powerful," the shaman agreed. "She also killed our two fighters."

"But you subdued her?" the doubt was evident in the leader's voice.