Plotting V.S Panting (And Hybrid Authors)

1. Plotter:

A plotter is an author who meticulously plans and outlines the key elements of their novel before embarking on the writing process. This includes developing detailed character profiles, mapping out the plot structure, and often creating chapter-by-chapter outlines.

Characteristics:

- Structured: Plotters prefer a structured and organized approach to writing. - Detailed Outlines: They often create comprehensive outlines or storyboards to guide their writing. - Pre-Writing Preparation: Significant time is invested in pre-writing preparation to ensure a well-thought-out narrative.

2. Pantser:

A pantser, short for "seat of the pants," is an author who dives into writing with minimal or no pre-planning. Instead of outlining the entire story in advance, pantsers discover the plot and characters as they progress through the writing process.
Characteristics:

- Adaptive: Pantsers embrace a more adaptive and spontaneous writing style. - Discovery Writing: They enjoy the process of discovering the story and characters as they write. - Less Constrained: Pantsters may feel less constrained by predetermined plot points, allowing for more creative freedom.

3. Hybrid Author:

Some authors (like me) adopt a hybrid approach, combining elements of both plotting and pantsing. They might have a general idea or key plot points outlined while leaving room for flexibility and exploration during the writing process.

Characteristics:

- Flexible Planning: A hybrid author may engage in flexible planning, outlining major plot points while leaving space for spontaneity.