Landing the Client

Darlene

I woke up from a caffeine-induced sleep to realize my phone alarm was sounding off. I set it for two hours before I have to leave.

I have a ritual I do when I have to face intense situations like landing this job.

I rose out of my own warmth and trudged to the bathroom.

Looking in the mirror it did not surprise me that my hair and face battled with my pillow, and it won.

My eyes were puffy, my cheeks lined with pillowcase imprints and my hair was in a state of fight or flight.

"Well, Darlene let's get it back together. "

It took 20 minutes to resemble myself. I went to my phone and looked at the checklist I created for today.

The first two are done. Now to complete the rest.

************

It was time to go and I was ready. I was focused and zen at the same time. My clothes were in my go-getter navy blue suit white shirt and blue heeled shoes that I pulled out for important situations.

My makeup screamed look at my lips. I intentionally wore a red so deep you could not look away.

Grabbing everything I needed I headed out with determination.

I went straight to the coffee shop to get the coffee that I was promised, and I saw the cashier from yesterday there.

There was only one person online, so I was next, and I was ready to apologize. I walked up to the counter, and she looked up and asked, "What would you like today.?"

"Hi. I want to apologize for the way I acted towards you yesterday."

She looked at me as if she did not know what I was talking about.

"Yesterday I was very rude to you, and you called me Darkling," I said.

Then I saw the light bulb go off in recognition.

"Wow, you clean up really nice. Thanks for the apology."

"Thanks."

"There is a coffee I am supposed to make you for today I was told. So if you wait for a few minutes I will have it ready."

"Thank you."

She smiled and went to work on making the special brew for me. I looked at the digital clock on the wall and I had only a few more minutes to spare before I turned and left.

"Here you go. Just like I was instructed."

"Thank you so much."

"He said to give this to you. There is not a price for this yet." She said then gave me a wink.

The thought that he gave that instruction to me made me smile. I needed to go so I left and headed out to the office.

***********

The office was buzzing with staff in several states of anxiety. This client if landed will move this company higher in the ranks of...

"Wow, you look ready for war," Penny said as she looked me over.

Colt just whistled.

"So, we are sticking to the plan. Penny, you sweeten the idea, Colt you pick up steam with how we can help move it forward and I will make the kill shot." I said.

We all nodded and went to our desks and waited for the clients to arrive.

The clients were late, and they came with an extra person. The person they brought with them is.