Scouts

"Okay, ladies. Welcome to your first match of the season. We'll be playing against chillum high. If you don't already know, for my non senior varsity players, they're our biggest rival. And the biggest threat."

In my first year of high school I was put onto junior varsity. I'm now in my second year and I'm playing for varsity. Huge achievement, I guess.

Not as big as playing for the u-17 national team, though.

"For my seniors, I hear there's gonna be scouts." Our coach, coach callihan said with a smirk inching its way on her face.

The senior girls cheered and clapped.

"Yeah, buddy! Who's gettting a d1 offer this year?!"

One of my teammates, Callie, enthusiastically yelled out.

"Remember. Scouts will be looking for your ability in tight areas, vision, touch, communication, basically everything. Play the best you can. Good-luck."

"T- minus 5 minutes to be out on the pitch, ladies!"

I quickly grabbed my bag with my kit, cleats and shin guard, compression shorts and made my way towards the bathroom.

"Hey. Why do you always go to the bathroom to change?"

My teammate, Mia, questioned as she stuffed her shin guards in her socks.

"I, um, I'm just not comfortable changing in front of people."

"Fair enough. But, hey, we're all girls. We've all seen boobs before." She said with a small laugh.

"Yeah, I just-"

"She's just not comfortable showing her body in front of other people. Why are you pressing about it?"

"Geez, Melissa, it was just a question."

"And you got an answer. No need to keep pushing it, Mia." Melissa gritted out, glaring at the other girl.

Mia raised her hands in defense with her eyebrows raised, "All right. My fault."

"You alright?" Melissa asked, a worried expression taking over.

"Yeah. Fine. Thank you."

"No need for that. I know you're not one to say many words, nor are you good with confrontations."

I let out a small laugh with a shake of my head, pulling my shirt over my head when I saw a lot of the girls had already went onto the pitch.

"No. I'm not."

"Why are you even in the locker room right now? I thought JV played at 5?"

"I told you, I'll fight people on the pitch and in the stands. Since we're not on the same team anymore, the stands will have to feel the wrath. Plus, I'm keeping an eye on scouts for you. Trust, I will be pointing you out when I spot them."

"Thanks, Mel. But I don't think scouts are here for me. Pretty sure they're going for seniors headed for college."

"Oh, trust. When they see you they'll be begging for you to join their college in 2 years time."

"Let's go ladies! Game time!" We turned to the voice of our coach who clapped and ushered everyone out the locker room.

"Guzman! Your game ended an hour ago. Why are you still in the locker room?"

The coach asked as the two of us walked passed her, headed towards the exit.

"Moral support, coach!" She yelled back.

As I made my way to the pitch I did some stretches, allowing my body to loosen up a bit.

"Good luck, babe." Melissa whispered innocently before placing a kiss on my cheek, then patting where she kissed harshly.