Chapter 2 The Dragon Prince Orenstein

It was sunset, my body was sore, my feathers were tattered and bloodsoaked, and another one of my saddles had been torn to shreds. My grisly appearance could only be presentable to Adara, who would've been pleased by the visceral mess of animalistic brutality that stained my once fine plumage. My parents on the other talon will be as displeased with my current complexion as myself. When I said I was going out to hunt, they made me promise to make a clean kill and I did, but those stupid beasts had to come along and ruin it! Tomorrow was going to be the most important day of my entire four-century life, and they had spent days making sure I was well-groomed for the occasion. Now we're back at square one again. Why is it that whenever something important is happening, the universe is always conspiring against me?

"Skkrraagggh! I can't believe you let that happen, Beskytter!" I snarled to myself as I passed the last mountain range to home, my frustration and fear building with every rising wingbeat. Along the way, my thoughts provided little comfort. If you had just brought your friends along, you wouldn't be in this mess.

"I know that it's my fault, but how is getting chewed on by the flock any better?" Well, Adara is still off on her family trip, leaving you in charge. You could've easily told them not to do that and they would've listened to you.

"This isn't a responsibility, they're just my friends," I replied, raising my head as if in protest to myself, "We're the second largest and most powerful fledgling pack in the Southern Shores. I personally saw to it."

"Isn't that enough?" A weak excuse, you are Beskytter 'Allister' Orenstein, Dragon Prince of the Southern Shores and soon-to-have Dragon Mage in the title.

How do you plan to represent your kin if you keep shirking off? "Shut up! I'm well aware of my burdens."

"I don't need to be reminded of it whenever I screw up." I snapped with a harsh hiss before coming to the realization that I'd been arguing with myself to an unhealthy degree. Embarrassed and disturbed, I retreated into my plumage to pull myself back into reality.

"Sweet Imperials, I'm lecturing myself more than my parents would. Is this what madness feels like?" After that, I went silent. Words and thoughts were getting me nowhere, so instead, I decided to let the scenery calm my nerves. I took a deep breath through the mouth, remembering to fill both my lungs and air chambers to their maximum volume before exhaling slowly out the snout. As the air escaped my nostrils, I could feel my frustration and fears steadily trickling out. Or that could've been my nosebleed, but I like to believe the former. My heavy wingbeats grew shallow and effortless, my flight was soon reduced to a steady glide in the peaceful red skies. Glancing downward, I could see that the dry plains were long behind me. Now beyond the rainshadow, the parched wilderness was replaced with the verdant farmlands and busy towns of humanity.

The lights from their homes and streets were shining brilliantly against the approaching darkness of night like stars in the sky. Illuminated by the dazzling light, I could observe all the townsfolk going about their chaotic yet peaceful lives. Most were heading home or closing their shops after a long day's "work" as they call it. The children, however, continued to run and play under the bright lamps with boundless enthusiasm. Others were carting along the streets with their beasts of burden; usually oxen or those less than palatable equines. However, there were quite a few unconventional creatures in service that caught my attention. The likes of which intrigued me so greatly. I began to lose track of time as I tried to identify each of them.

A pair of ornamental griffins pulling a chariot. Odd for such noble creatures being used for such an arbitrary task, I thought, "They do look rather old though. I guess it could be their retirement job since they're no longer fit for the show."