Chapter 6 All Eyes are for You.

Wait, the Dragon Prince is coming!? Did I get that right? Is he mine? Wait! WAIT! I AM NOT READY!! Is he my soulmate? No, don't be ridiculous! Who else could it be? For Imperial's sake just take a look!! I looked back to where I had been pointing, there was a single shape in the sky. A fair bit higher than where my hand was, not sure if it was because I moved or the change in distance. A tiny figure in the sky, held aloft by great feathered wings that dwarfed the entire silhouette, a long tail trailed behind like a kite, the head was unnaturally geometric like a rhombus, all of this was attached to a slender purple body that shimmered radiant against the sun's rays. I have no idea what that is. I swear I have heard that name before, but where!? Was it in the book? Why is he here? Did people know he was coming?

I turn back to Natalia about to ask her, not entirely sure what but at least some of those questions if can I organize them. But my mouth is frozen shut at the sight of her, still facing the sky but her gaze is firmly locked onto me with an intensity I have never seen before. To be honest I actually don't think I have seen anyone give me that look... not since the day I left. It was my parents then; they seemed astonished, longing, proud, pleading, elated... broken and whatever is in between all at once. My friend, who had welcomed me into her life since my arrival five months ago now looked at me strangely too, but it was different, it was more lost and in almost fearful disbelief. Why are you looking at me like that, is something wrong?

With whatever I could muster I pried my lips open to ask, "N-Natally... are you ok-"

"SSKKRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEAACKK!!!!!" The sharp cry of the prince jolted us back in his direction. In that motion I take a quick spin around, everyone here, my peers, the educators, and even the dragons are all staring skyward with the same dumbstruck awe as her. The Dragon Prince was hovering still far above, gliding in place against the wind like a kestrel hunting voles. He has to be at least two thousand meters up, how does he sound so close!? What kind of lungs does he have!? But is he my partner? That can't be, Natalia said if I have any doubts it couldn't be him. Who else could it be then, no one is up there with him. What is he a male? If he's the prince I'd think so, but I couldn't decipher that in my meditations. A few of my peer's dragons changed sex during their stay from what I've heard, is it the same for me? What am I saying? I don't even know who or what kind of dragon this is! Was it his name again, Allister?

The distant dragon's head perked up and he bellowed, "HAVE THE SLOP TROUGHS JAMMED YOUR EARS!?

I NEED TO LAND, THOSE BEASTS STILL FLYING GET DOWN AND THE REST OF YOU CLEAR OUT OF MY WAY!!!

OTHERWISE, I AM GOING TO HAVE NO QUALMS ABOUT TESTING THE INTEGRITY OF MY ARMOR!!!!

I AM FEELING A BIT PECKISH MYSELF!!

I AM GOING TO GIVE YOU LOT TEN BILL CLAPS BEFORE I DESCEND!!

GET READY!!"

For a moment we remained frozen, except for the fliers who all dropped back to the earth before he even finished his statement. The whispers of my peers and the rolling waves were the only thing that kept it from being dead silent. Wait a minute I remember his name now, I swear I've heard about it from somewhere. Beskytter 'Allister' Orenstein, wasn't he mentioned in the field guide? I swear to the blood of imperials, I know this!! I didn't have any more time to dwell as all the dragons suddenly jolted and scrambled in every direction without warning. All were trying to escape the center of the landing strip as best they could, smaller creatures did their best to avoid getting trampled in the process. I could only watch in confusion, where's the clapping? I think I see his mouth moving, but where's the sound? How far away is he? How loud is his voice?

Using the space of time I grabbed onto Natalia's arm and pulled, when she turned to face me I finally asked, "Do you know anything about the Dragon Prince?"