Chapter One

MACK

I was falling, far down a seemingly endless pit. The wind rushed past me, pulling at my clothes and hair as I plummeted through the still air. Abruptly, I could suddenly see something coming at me. Hard and flat.

No, I was coming at it. Attempting to slow my fall, I writhed in the air, a classic way a cartoon character might in one of those movies. Coming closer and not slowing down as I neared the ground.

My eyes widened as the image came closer, before I shut my eyes tightly, grimacing.

Jerking my head up, I rolled over, my eyes turning to my alarm. I shut my eyes again, the weariness in them welcoming the return to darkness, but I couldn't seem to shake the depiction of me falling down.

Suddenly, a voice rang through my bedroom, startling me out of my daze. "Mack! Time for school!" I heard my dad call to me. "A bit longer! Come on, it's Monday!" I grunted, pulling my pillow over my head before squeezing my eyes shut again.

"Fine, I'll just send your brother and the dog in if that's how you want it. Sam, go get your sister. Bring Archie too," my father said. Suddenly, I heard the dreaded stomping coming closer, and then two massive weights crushed me.

"Come on, Mack! It's time to get up!" an annoying, sing-song echoed in my bedroom. I instantly knew who it was by the tone and voice. My brother, unfortunately, and I assumed the other massive, fluffy thing on top of me was our golden retriever, Archie.

Trying my best to ignore my dog and the demon spawn, I rolled over, groaning in annoyance. However, my brother was insistent, and kept bouncing on my bed along with 'man's best friend'. "Get off of me, you little shit!" I growled, shoving my brother off of my bed along with Archie.

"Aw, come on Mack, he's just eight," my father chuckled, who had walked into my room. "Alright, alright, I'm up!" I groaned wearily. Yawning, I stood up out of my bed, my muscles tightening in protest. I stretched, closing my eyes before opening them again. I pushed my family out of my room, shutting the door, before stumbling towards my washroom.

I looked in the mirror, my reflection showing my messy, wavy brown hair and weary golden eyes. I turned on the sink, splashing some water on my face to wake up and put some on my brush before running it through my frizzy hair, attempting to flatten it down.

Suddenly, my phone went off, and I walked back into my bedroom to see a notification on my phone.

Curious, I looked over it, seeing Amy's profile appear on the text message tab. Confused, I opened her message.

Ams: where tf are you

Me: my house??

Ams: you better hurry ur ass. bus is pullin up in 5. BE THERE!!

Me: shit. ill be out soon

Scrambling back through my bedroom, I ripped a light gray hoodie and a white t-shirt out of my closet before flinging myself to my drawer, pulling out a pair of ripped blue jeans. I stuffed a piece of my slightly torn math homework into my black backpack, before zipping it shut hurriedly.

I leapt down the stairs four at a time, landing on the main floor. My brother and father watched on, perplexed, as I grabbed a few granola bars, beginning to tear the package on one of them.

"You're off early," Dad commented as I darted to the porch, beginning to tie my laces. "Noth tha earwly. Buth here soon," I replied, my mouth full of the bar. My dad nodded, while Sammy yelled, "Bye Mack!"

I tossed a treat from a doggie bag to Archie, before running outside and slamming the door behind me. Breathing in the crisp but warm fall air, I took off in a running start towards the bus stop, slowing as I neared.