Chapter Two

TY

Tossing the volleyball, I watched the other team prepare for the game. "I seriously cannot wait for this unit to be over. I mean, I know it just started, but still," Katie muttered, standing beside me. I let out a snort of amusement. "Come on, it'll be easy. No need to fret," I chuckled, giving her a light nudge.

She laughed. "I sure hope so. Give them a good serve, Ty," my friend grinned, before walking to her position. I nodded, turning my gaze back to the net again.

My eyes flitted around, before landing on a girl across the court. She had brown, wavy hair and a spray of freckles on her face, plus the most unusual pair of golden eyes I had seen. We met eyes for a couple moments, before she seemed to notice something, and her expression changed as she turned toward a boy with blond hair and a girl with dyed blue hair tips.

She seemed to say something to him, before the starting whistle rang through the gym. I hesitated, not wanting to serve while she and the other boy were distracted. "What are you waiting for? Serve it!" Katie's voice cut into my thoughts.

"But-" I began to protest, while Katie interrupted me. "Tyler. Serve the ball," she ordered. I sighed, giving in, before going for a jump serve. I tried to push away the little voice that told me I wouldn't be able to see the pair from this angle. I relished the feeling of being in the air for a couple seconds, before landing on the court.

However, the feeling instantly disintegrated when I heard a cry from the other side. Shocked, me and my teammates bounded to the net. I swallowed as I saw the girl lying on the ground, team circling around her. Mr. Harris hurried over.

I ducked under the net, ignoring Katie's voice telling me not to. The blond boy was kneeling on the ground next to her, fear flashing in his gray eyes. "Mack, Mack! Wake up, please!" he shook her gently, and Mack opened up her eyes gradually.

"Is she okay..?" I asked in a hesitant tone, slowly walking over. "No thanks to you, asshole!" the blond boy snapped, gray eyes flaring. "...What?" Mack murmured, struggling to sit up. The blond boy propped her up against him, continuing to glare at me while he held onto her. She blinked blearily.

"Charlie, what just..." Mack asked, holding her head with a pained expression. The boy, who I assumed to be Charlie, eyes narrowed. "Mr. Fancy Fucking Serve over here knocked you out," he hissed.

Mr. Harris turned to me. "Tyler, is this true?"

I dropped my gaze, staring at the ground, hard. Maybe it would open up. Couldn't get that lucky, though. "Yes..." I mumbled, not wanting to rat Katie out, "I thought I was, um, good to serve, but couldn't see them..."

"Great excuse. You're done for today, Gray. Make your ass useful, and help Mackenzie to the nurse," he ordered. Head hanging, I went to help her up despite Charlie's aggressive protest's before Mr. Harris snapped something at him. Reluctantly, he helped her stand before letting go of her.

Attempting to help Mack, I awkwardly let her sling her arm over me and we stumbled out of the gym. I kept my mouth shut as we trudged to the office, before she broke the silence.

"That was a pretty good serve," she mumbled. I felt my cheeks heat up from guilt. "I think it's safe to say is wasn't that good if you got concussed," I pointed out grimly. She let out a little chuckle.

"I wasn't paying attention, so I guess we can say we're both at fault," she laughed. But I was paying attention, I thought shamefully. "I'd expect the nurse would give you some ice and then tell you to walk it off," I added jokingly.

Mack smirked. "Probably."

As we arrived at the office, Mack told them what happened, then walked in, but not before turning around. "Hey, Tyler, right? I don't blame you, just so you know. I'll see you around? Maybe at Parker's party this weekend."

I nodded, surprised. It seemed Parker had invited more people then he had let on. Making a mental note to tell him his parents might find out, However she walked in before I could say anything, so I called out awkwardly "Ty's fine!". I was given a wave of acknowledgement before she disappeared around the corner.

"Oh, there you are!" Katie exclaimed, bouncing around from the corner. Surprised, I took a step back before my friend barrelled into me. "Anyways, you know that kid, Charlie?" Katie demanded, following me as I returned to our lockers. "Yeah, we just started. Always seemed kind of smug," I grunted.

"I think I recognize him from one of your games. And he seemed a bit aggressive. And really fucking flirty," she added. "No surprise, really, with that streak he has," I responded.

"Well, he's got it out for you, Ty. Honestly, don't be shocked if he jumps you with his buddies soon," Katie muttered.

Great, now some guy is hellbent on killing me because Katie was a little too impatient.