Quiet People Have the Loudest Minds

Finally, dad, Scott, and Melissa had left.

As much as he loves them, and loves knowing that his brain isn't shrinking and he isn't turning into his mom, he needs some time to talk with Void. Even if it's only the couple minutes his dad leaving to get food and use the bathroom will give him.

"What did you do?" he starts with as soon as his dad's footsteps recede down the hallway, turning to the fox atop his ankles.

"We did not do anything."

"You did something! You said you weren't doing this on purpose, and that it wasn't a human illness, what does that mean?" he barrages, lowering his voice when he realized he'd practically started shouting.

"We did not do anything," Void growls, fur standing on end.

How long has Void looked more like a normal fox? It looks like a barely transparent red fox now, with nothing but black dots in transparent eye sockets for eyes. The glow is still there, sure, and when it moves it looks like if someone were to trace over the movements of a fox with a glowing pen, but still.

How did he not notice?

"You're getting more powerful," he realizes, "Are you killing me?"

"Why would we kill such a good host?"

"I don't know! Why would you do anything you do?!"

It levels him with an unimpressed stare, and he groans, running a hand down his face.

"You know what I mean. Clearly you know what's going on, so why can't you just tell me?"

"It is unbefitting," Void snorts snootily, "We do not help directly."

"Who cares? Do you see any other nogitsune around to judge you?"

Void narrows its eyes mentally, for its face doesn't really change expressions, and chuffs, "We will find out when Time bears itself.."

"You're an asshole. Why'd it have to be me?" he grumbles, falling back to the bed. His eyes flick to the door as it opens, his dad entering with a tray of food.

The sheriff looks around the room, visibly confused, and Stiles's heart seizes– did he hear him talking? Surely he wasn't that loud, right? "Who were you talking to?"

"Nobody?" Stiles fibs, because when in doubt, gaslight your family.

A sharp pain on his leg makes him squawk and jerk his leg up, he glares down at the fox on his lap who feels distinctly smug.

"You okay?" dad quietly shuts the door, bringing his tray of food to the small end table beside his dedicated chair.

Stiles clears his throat and looks away from the demon, "Yep, yeah, perfectly fine. Just a– ow!" he flinches, turning back to Void whose claws are deep in his leg. He's not really sure if it's actually possible for it to physically injure him, but it hurts nonetheless.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's– would you stop?!" he hisses, before slapping a hand over his mouth. The feeling of smugness rumbles in his head, then settles into pleased. What the hell was it pleased about? Getting him to slip up?

Oh

Trustworthy dad. Got it.

"Stiles?" dad says, worry obvious in his voice, "Should I get the doc?"

"No, uh, hey– has Scott told you about the whole, yknow, Nogitsune thing going on?"

Dad nods slowly, "Sure, not in much detail, but yeah. What's that got to do with this?"