xiii

Luca felt as if life was moving in slow motion as she began the dreaded walk up to the astronomy tower. She hadn't been able to concentrate in classes at all that day as her mind was consumed with finalizing her plan.

She knew she'd end up dead either way.

Not unless she got far away before the Dark Lord found her.

She'd done her research. The Elder Wand was a part of a collection of three very rare items known as the Deathly Hallows. The Elder Wand belonged to one of three brothers and was stolen by another wizard, who slit that brother's throat for good measure.

The Elder Wand belonged to whoever killed its last owner. Whether or not Voldemort was aware of this, Luca wasn't sure. But it didn't matter. He wasn't capable of caring about anyone, not even Bellatrix, who was his most loyal follower since day one. She was nothing more than his second in command. Luca believed that he would kill Bellatrix if it meant he got to stay in power.

War was among them. Everyone in the Wizarding World knew this. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had been hunting down and killing horcruxes – little prices of the Dark Lord's soul – after learning about them from a memory.

It was early evening when the attack began. The castle was in a disarray of chaos as Ravenclaw's, Hufflepuff's, Slytherin's, and Gryffindor's united together to fight against the army of Death Eaters.

Santana spotted a familiar head of wild curls, a bad feeling growing in her stomach. She pushed past her classmates and ran after her, ignoring Luna Lovegood calling after her as she asked where she was going.

Luca's feet felt like they were being held down by heavy weights as she walked up the narrow, winding staircase that led to the very top of the astronomy tower. Sure enough, Dumbledore was standing by the edge, the wind blowing his long white hair and beard.

He turned around when he had footsteps. Luca's wand was outstretched, her mocha orbs glistening with tears. "Good evening, Luca," he greeted her.

"Don't 'good evening, Luca' me." She tightened the grip on her wand, her jaw clenching.

"Luca, you are no assassin." Dumbledore spoke calmly. It was almost as if he knew what was coming. He didn't seem to be afraid.

Why isn't he afraid?

"Luca, don't!"

Luca turned around when she heard Santana's voice. Her bottom lip trembled, and the grip on her wand loosened as her hands became more sweaty and shaky.

"Luca, you don't have to do this." Santana approached the petite girl slowly with one hand outstretched.

"Haven't you been paying attention?" Luca scoffed, her voice breaking. "I don't have a choice!"

"You are not your mother! Don't be who she wants you to be when you know in your heart that you're not that girl!"

Luca looked back to Dumbledore, who's head tilted slightly. It was almost as if he was daring her to do it. She spotted the Elder Wand in his hands. She looked between him, Santana, and the fight happening on the grounds below them.

Bellatrix was somewhere in the castle. She could almost hear her voice telling her to do it.

Santana crept around so that she was standing off to the side in between Luca and Dumbledore. She was terrified of what was going to happen if Luca killed him, and she was horrified to think about what might happen if she didn't.

It was a lose-lose situation either way. Tonks had told her that when the Order arrived at Hogwarts earlier that afternoon.

Luca took a deep breath. She closed her eyes and stuttered out the unforgivable curse, a singular tear rolling down her cheek. She opened her eyes as a bright flash of green lit up the astronomy tower.

All she saw after that was a glimpse of raven hair before Santana collapsed on the hardwood floor.

─── ⋆⋅☾⋅⋆ ──

─── ⋆⋅☾⋅⋆ ──

a/n

idek what to put in the author's note atp 😐

thoughts? 😅