xiv

It took Luca a moment to realize what had just happened. When it hit her, a horrified gasp fell from her lips. She rushed over to Santana's side and kneeled down beside her. She could see the life leaving from her eyes, but she wasn't dead yet.

"No, no, no, no," Luca whispered, tears falling freely down her face. She reached out and took Santana's hand, squeezing it tightly. "I-I didn't mean to...Please don't die. I...I don't want you to die. Wh-Why would you do that?"

"I..." Santana was having trouble getting the words to form. She looked Luca in the eyes, her own tears falling down her tan cheeks. "I...lo-love...y...you...I...c-couldn't let...you..."

Love.

Love.

That feeling Luca felt whenever she was around Santana was love.

"I..." Luca cupped Santana's cheek, her heart breaking into a million pieces, her chest heavy. "I-I love you," she whispered. She leaned down and pressed her lips against Santana's, their tears mixing together as the last of her life drained out of her.

Luca hugged Santana's lifeless body close to her, her head tucked into the crook of her neck, her sobs echoing through the astronomy tower. This wasn't supposed to happen. Santana wasn't supposed to die.

No one was supposed to die.

She didn't want anyone to die. She didn't want to be evil.

She was capable of feeling. She was capable of crying. She was capable of loving.

She was not her mother. She was not her father. She was not one of Lord Voldemort's servants that he could just order around.

She was Lucatrix Lestrange. She didn't follow the rules; she made her own. She wrote her own destiny. She listened to her heart.

"My heart is telling me that I love you," Luca choked out through her pained cries. "I...I love you, Santana...And I'm so sorry that I didn't get the chance to tell you that." She paused for a moment so that she could catch her breath, her chest heaving. "I should've listened...You were right. Everyone was...A-And now it's too late."

Tears fell down onto Santana's body. They sank into her skin, filling her with Luca's love. Her fingers twitched, and her heart slowly began to beat again. Air filled her lungs, and she gasped for precious oxygen. Her eyes shot open, and she was greeted with Luca's tear-stained cheeks.

Luca blinked a few times to make sure she wasn't seeing things. She didn't want to get her hopes up. Her hand was still entwined with Santana's, and the Latina gave it a squeeze. "You're..."

"I'm okay, Luke," Santana whispered as she reached up to cup her cheek. Luca leaned down to kiss her, relief washing across her body.

Luca pulled away after a moment. "B-But...how?" she asked. She helped Santana sit up, never once letting go of her hand. "There's no way to reverse the killing spell."

"You have to want to cause that kind of pain in order to be successful, Luca," Dumbledore said as he walked over to them. He reached a hand out to help the two girls up, his brows furrowing when he saw one of the rings on Luca's fingers. "Surely you knew that, didn't you? You are one of the brightest witches at Hogwarts."

"I didn't think of that." Luca looked down at her and Santana's hands. She didn't want to hurt anyone. That's why the spell was unsuccessful.

A loud explosion was heard from below. The night was illuminated by fire and spells flying from the casters wands. Luca was brought back to reality. They were in the middle of a war.

"My mom." A scared gasp fell from her lips. "She...She's gonna be so mad." She turned to look up at Santana, fear in her eyes. "You have no idea what she's capable of."

"I have a pretty good idea." Santana looked down at the scars on Luca's arm. Those were because of Bellatrix, and she had a pretty good feeling that what happened on Christmas wasn't the first time that had happened.

"No, Santana, you don't understand." Luca's bottom lip trembled, her stomach twisting. "She...She'll kill you." She choked out a sob. "A-And then she'll kill me."

Footsteps were heard. A feeling of dread fell across the tower as they turned to see Bellatrix coming up the stairs, the wind blowing her wild curls.

─── ⋆⋅☾⋅⋆ ──

─── ⋆⋅☾⋅⋆ ──

a/n

here we gooo the long awaited mother-daughter fight 🤺

there's just one more chapter and an epilogue left! i should get this story finished either today or tomorrow!

thoughts?